different degrees of hot throughout house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey.

We had central heating with combi boiler installed 6 months ago without any problems. However since having a bathroom suite (we used to only have a shower) installed last week the temperature of the hot taps throughout the house vary a lot. The kitchen hot where the boiler is really warm. The bathroom sink hot seems slightly cooler and the the bath hot is a lot cooler. the mixer shower which we kept in the same place over the bath seems ok however it has a thermostat inside it. So far in order to run a warm bath we have to run the cold tap in the kitchen sink (running the bathroom sink cold doesn't work so to speak) spoke with the guy who installed the bath he claims that the varying temperature is down to pipe sizes? he had to split the hot and cold for the bath of the hot and cold into the bathroom sink. Anybody any ideas. and thanks for taking the time to read this "essay". If i've missed any important info sorry.

Sponsored Links
To me it sounds as if you have a pressure problem.
Your hot will be coming off the main but maybe your cold supply is from a cistern in the loft
Check and see how your cold is plumbed. May be better straight off the mains,
Turning down your hot tap flow will give you a hotter temperature. :D

i live in a flat and we used to have an electric heated boiler before the combi there where to pipes coming down from the loft one hot one cold both having red isolator valves. now one has been totally isolated with an end cap. The only thing that makes me question if it just pressure problem is that the pipes taken from the toilet sink are only about 1/2 metre long and go up less distance than the ones to the sink do. The sink is pretty much ok.

We could reduce the flow into the bath but it already takes long enough to run a bath. I actually only thought of reducing the flow after i posted the first problem. I don't actually know that much about all of this and had forgot thats the way the boiler works since it has never been a problem up until now.

If i've missed any important info
We ALWAYS need to know what the boiler is!

he claims that the varying temperature is down to pipe sizes
He's right, indirectly.

With many combis the temp of the water depends on the flow. Same energy, so more flow gives lower temperature. Ariston for example are like that. So big bath taps can give too low a temp.

Some boilers eg Vaillant, Worcester, limit the flow so it's always hot enough for a bath.

The temperature knob on a combi sets the maximum temp if the flow is very low, it does nothing if the flow is too high (ie if the combi is already working at max energy).

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a vokera

thanks

After being reminded of my ignorance/poor memory i've ran a bath with the flow lower and it is warm enough now thanks also.

ps i presume if the boiler is set up to restrict flow this cannot be unrestricted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back