DIFFERENT MEASUREMENTS FOR DOOR??? WHICH FITTER IS RIGHT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a bespoke exterior door, frame, sidelight etc. The manufacturer/supplier does not do fitting and so I am having to get someone in to fit this and also give me the correct measurements to use for the manufacture of the door. I have had a couple of fitters in so far for a quote and their measurements. They have included tolerances in their measurements but have still come up with different measurements. Worried that the error in measurement could result in the door, frame etc being made to big and therefore not fitting? Any advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Make sure you get your chosen fitter to write down the measurements for you, and to say if this is the Opening size and if he has allowed fitting tolerance. Keep the bit of paper he wrote it on (or get him to write it on his quote) and pass on the instruction to the maker.

It will then be his problem to make it fit :LOL:

But he will probably be well-equipped with a portable workbench, a big circular saw and a power plane, so will be able to trim it to fit. Openings in brickwork are rarely perfectly square, so he should be expecting to trim a little here, and pack out a little there. He will (should) be fitting a matching timber trim round the inside to hide the join, and colour-matched silicone round the outside to keep the weather out.

It is also possible to use expanding foam to seal the gap and keep out draughts, it also makes the fixing more secure, but I don't know if this is considered good professional work. You must have good steel bolts to fix it to the wall as well.

If the door is going to be stained (not painted) ask him to put matching hardwood pellets over the screw heads, they make it look smarter and more professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back