Different water pressure on 2 gauges, and leaking auto air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

First time poster, but I can normally find solutions on here, but this problem has me stumped and I can't find it elsewhere on here, so thought I'd better post.

We've been in our house 3 months. It was built in 2000, and I'd say the boiler and all heating system components have been in since then.

We noticed a few dripping pipes last week in the cupboard containing the water cylinder. Managed to tighten up a few loose joints that largely stopped things.

However, we noticed that the water pressure gauge next to the cylinder was quite low (0.5 - 1), and downstairs on the boiler the pressure was high 4.5 (!!). I drained out quite a lot of water from the radiators and the pressure on the cylinder dropped to 0, but only to 3 on the boiler. And no matter how much more I drain down, the boiler stays around 3 - 3.5. It's also started leaking brown water out of the auto air vent on top.

I did get a local plumber out but he was just a bit confused by it all, like me.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Here you go.

I should add that a couple of downstairs radiators don't get any heat, so I think we may have some blocked pipes.

Attachments

• 20220705_130411.jpg
    20220705_130411.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220705_130406.jpg
    20220705_130406.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220705_124501.jpg
    20220705_124501.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 98
Oh dear, If the plumber is a bit confused by all of that. then you need to get someone else in.

I'd be more likely to go with the gauge in the first pic on the pipework rather than that Stelrad system unit/gauge. Not sure what that is but one of the other pros on here may have seen it before.

That expansion vessel on the top of the boiler doesn't look too clever either.

You need someone in that knows what they are doing to have a good look through it all, and service the boiler and unvented cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Agree that the pressure gauge attached to the boiler seems ropey. It's got one wire attaching to a pipe, and fluctuates when you move the wire.

Spoke to another plumber. He said adding a cap to the auto air vent might help stop it leaking.

Will get the boiler serviced too. Is it best to use a local or a national company?

There should be a small thumb screw in the top of the AAV that allows it to be closed off but ideally it would be replaced or swapped for another types of vent AAV's leak just for fun.

If you can find a good local independent then go with them, you may actually get some loyalty from them. There are ovbiously a few things that need sorted out on your system so be prepared to spend a few bucks to get it ship shape. The unvented needs serviced too no doubt, it's just as important to get that serviced as it is the boiler IMO.

I'd be more likely to go with the gauge in the first pic on the pipework rather than that Stelrad system unit/gauge. Not sure what that is but one of the other pros on here may have seen it before.
looks like a Potterton Suprima, they had an optional sealed system kit, thay can go above or below the boiler,unusual to see the vessel horizontal though, they are usually vertical

Thanks. Good spot. Why on earth would anyone want to shut that off? Definitely some odd plumbing in this house.

Have booked a service in with a local independent. Hopefully build up a good relationship as I think we'll be using them again to help unblock some pipes in the near future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back