difficult removing upvc panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for reading.

I've removed a upvc panel from a door previously to replace, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting this one out.

I've done a search and found a similar looking post, but it doesn't have pictures so I'm unsure whether it really is the same. The door is heavy so it might be metal require disassembly but I don't know how to tell whether it is.

Trying to lever the middle of the beading just chews up the very small lip, and there is a hard gasket behind the beading which doesn't want to come out.

I've attached a couple of pics and any advice is greatly appreciated.

My wife would do some DIY on me in my sleep if she knew I was posting the second picture of that grubby door.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Juat wondering any chance the door has been fitted back to front and the removable bead is on the outside?

The beads are mitred in the corners so are impossible to release as one bead fouls the other, start in the centre with a sharp stiff scraper, thump or hammer it in and lever the bead inwards working towards the corners, once one bead is out the rest will follow, at this point you can start at the ends but not on the first bead.

The rubber incidentally stays in as it's part of the bead, it's what's called 'Co extruded'

Juat wondering any chance the door has been fitted back to front and the removable bead is on the outside?

No because the mitre on the bead would not be that tidy, it would of been a weld if the door was back to front that was cleaned off with a sharp implement like a Don Carlos,

Sponsored Links
I can only get a scraper/screwdriver in 2-3 mm then i hit another surface of the bead at a right angle so hammering doesn't help.

I can't get enough leverage to move the bead before the plastic is chewed up.

Use 2 or 3 progressively thicker scrapers (good stiff ones) all at the same time. 2 people working together would help.

Some beads are just a pain in the ass

knock the scraper in till it opens the gap, then tilt the scraper so the handle points away from the panel, then keep tapping so the bead is being knocked out of the profile

Is there any wedge pushed in on the outside of the door you can remove to loosen the beads??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back