Difficult to reach places?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner and I are potentially looking at a house with an old barn that would make a great conversion. It's a smallholding right at the top of a farm track, going through from a narrow single lane road.

The barn is still the way it likely was when the house was first built a hundred or so years back, and needs a lot of work to turn it into something liveable. A lot of timber, sorting wall insulation, probably concreting the floor, or at least substantial floor work as it's still dirt.

The main issue is, would narrow tracks and farm roads with miniscule turning areas cause issues at all? Will I need to raise the budget for this conversion for being in an awkward place? Or is it all in a day's work for a company?

Ta much!

Sponsored Links
It’ll definitely be a factor yes. As well as some deliveries/vehicles potentially not being able to reach it and the additional cost/time associated, builders will use convenience of site access as an influence in quoting. Can’t really put a figure on it though, just something to be aware of

Hi,

I would recommend a binge watch of 'Grand Designs'.
There are a good few episodes where site access has been difficult; they love to show the struggles of lorries hitting branches, getting stuck, or slipping down hills! :)

It may very well impact your budget, but the issues aren't insurmountable. Afterall, how was the house built there in the first place!

...and you may have to learn to drive a:
9m-jcb-535-95-tele.jpg

:)

IMO the first/best thing to do is make a decent access, turning, and parking.

Lorries are fine down single track roads but you need more space on corners, and somewhere for them to turn.

One place I was working an artic was unable to turn at the far end (partly lack of space, partly lack of traction). Reversing back out, his front wheel left the track, he had to spend the night there, then recovery took all of the next day. I never saw the bill for it, but including wasted man hours it would be many thousands of pounds down the pan :censored:

Sponsored Links
You could offer to buy a few feet of land from neighbours along the track or temporarily enlarge the track for lorry easier access.
Of course this would eat into your budget.

You could offer to buy a few feet of land from neighbours along the track or temporarily enlarge the track for lorry easier access.
Of course this would eat into your budget.

There isn't, that's the thing. It's not just the farm track, but the actual village you come up through to get the farm track is packed with houses on either side. There isn't anymore room to give.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back