Am I daft to contemplate doing this myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at adding space to my 3 bed semi as it's so much cheaper round here to extend than move.

I'm on a limited budget of about £20k so would try and do quite a lot of it myself. Foundations etc. I know someone who is good at blockwork (Builds breeze block walls on farms) Would that be ok?

I have plans that i've drawn up myself and we have an architect who is a friend (2 actually but 1 works on commercial buildings more than residential) so that's taken care of.

I've attached the plans for you to look at if it helps?

Original: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/neneromanova/media/house-2_zpsacc5b93f.jpg.html

New plans: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/neneromanova/media/measurements-2_zps68a54dab.jpg.html

This is how the back looks now: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/neneromanova/36911_2946_IMG_02_0000_zpsb2aeef8f.jpg

So is this doable for £20k? Just the shell I mean with the plumbing/gas/electrics in place, or is it possible to do it for less? The roof would be flat with maybe sky lanterns in it.

EDIT: Looking at the flooring, it needs to come up from the ground by about 400mm which looks like fun.

Sponsored Links
Work out the additional floor area (in m²) and multiply by £1000 to get an idea of building costs to a plastered out finish.

For a shell it could (i.e. no plastering, skirting, doors, archies etc) be down to £800 p/m².

It's only a daft idea if you don't know what you are doing and if you want it completing swiftly. There are many facets to building an extension, all of which are important. Are you well versed in them all?

How is the new roof going to work in respect to upstairs windows etc?

Sponsored Links
I'm a quick learner of things, but have a few mates I can call on to help me out.

And yeah, the grass is 400mm below what the final flooring would be. I take it it would just be cordon off the area with ply and dip a lot of cement in til it goes to the correct level?

I'm a quick learner of things, but have a few mates I can call on to help me out.

And yeah, the grass is 400mm below what the final flooring would be. I take it it would just be cordon off the area with ply and dip a lot of cement in til it goes to the correct level?

Errrm, proper footings, now I'm not saying you can't do it, but from what you've said, I think as a minimum you should thinks about have the footings and slab done by a pro as a minimum. Get those wrong and the whole lot has to come down.

You will need at minimum neighbour consultation and possibly full planning permission. The garage wall that will become your house wall will need an extra skin and insulation and maybe new foundations. I would suggest that you employ an architectural technician to do your drawings and liaise with the local planners in order to avoid problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back