Difficult to shut back door due to vacuum created with porch

I have just scan read the post for the first time and I think the guy has a point.

The main crux of the argument was that irrespective of how indestructible glass is, why do people in the industry insist on such a weak and fallible seal for DGU's. He likened the fragility of DGU seals to the fact that the light bulb industry does not want an everlasting light bulb.

What makes me smile is that if only ordinary people knew exactly what energy saving difference an argon filled unit trumps over a regular unit. And that a simple break-down in the silicone window seal will negate that saving in an instant.

Expertly fitted windows will do more for your energy bills than any of the poxy gimmicks on offer. Believe me.

Sponsored Links
I can not disagree with the arguement about a weak seal , but there are so many variables in play as well...

At point of manufacture..

How old is the dessicant?
How humid are the conditions the unit is made in?
Are there any solvents in the air

On manually sealed units ... how trained is the person sealing it?

These are but a few
Argon unfortunately leaks out...that I have been told by a Fensa representative at a Fensa seminar AND by the auditing company that used to test our sealed units so the extra cost IMHO in a comlpete waste, even though by building regs , we have to put in all NEW installations.
All manufacturers who have a licence to manufacture sealed units ( which should be all of them ) , have had quite stringent testing...

The fragility is interesting, because how many products do you buy that have a miminum 5 year warranty for under £20 ( fanlight size sealed unit )......not even your £60,000 Range Rover will give you that.

I've ordered some silicone spray.
I'll phone the company on Monday (a local one, but came recommended) and ask them to come out and tweak the door and refix trim.
I looked behind one piece of trim and it has insulation in it (the blanket type stuff) but not foam - I'll speak to him and make sure he replaces that with foam as it's drafty. The other lifted trim are not drafty so he can just refix those.

Thanks again you gave me the confidence to hold the conversation with them.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=273970&start=0

I wish I'd been on a member on here when he posted this .... I used to make Sealed Units , not an Automated line, I actaully filled the bar with dessicant and put the hotmelt round them, I was even the person responsible for the companies EN1279 parts 2 and 3 Sealed Unit licences...thats one subject I know very very well :D
Thanks for the link to that thread Ronniecabers.
Did raise a smile reading through that :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back