Difficulty Measuring for uPVC Window (Photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I removed a VERY rotten old window today and hadn't realised just how deep it was into the walls. Can anyone help me figure out how to measure and install a new window. I was going to order online and fit myself.

Please see attached picture.

Is it acceptable to make a brick window sill just lower than the one inside then measure the opening on the outside and just use expanding foam to "secure" it in place? I would then render over the brick window sill to make it look nice and paint it.

Any advice appreciated.

92c73fa6-b128-433c-afd0-ce176ea497aa.jpg

File_000.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you are having the window opening and assuming it's a upvc window just measure render to render and add 20 MM. The add a couple of 15 MM add ones if they fit. Might also need a add on on the bottom + cill and face drain

add a couple of 15 MM add ones
Thanks SO much for your reply. Can you tell me what you mean by 15MM add ones? Did you mean add ons and if so what are they?

I'm a competent DIYer and and not to phased by this so long as I have researched. :)

You could leave the side add ins/frame extenders just measure 20 MM bigger than the outside render. You will still need a add on to the bottom to raise it above the internal window board

Sponsored Links
Hi,
before you order the window, you have to plan exactly the new measures of the sill and the lateral sides.

It is necessary that you find the right shape of uPvc profiles, expecially if you want to have a sill just lower than the one inside.

It is a good idea to eliminate the thermal bridges in the wall, inserting insulate material in the cavities, creating a ring of insulation and fixing the window on it.

Pffft .. thermal bridges .. our house is solid brick its just as cold with the windows open as it is closed in the winter. Hehe.

I've ordered the window. If it doesn't fit I'll swear a lot, smash it and just leave the wooden board over the hole. I quite like the squatters look anyway. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back