Digging fence post holes close to existing fence?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a fence that's been up 10 years or more it was hand made on site and continuous along both sides and back of my garden.

The problem is the posts have started to go, some parts of the garden got badly waterlogged over winter (a few winters actually!).

Since the fence itself is in good condition I'd like to sink some new posts down on my side to stabilise it again.

I'm looking for a way to drill some decent depth holes on my side of the fence as close as possible to mount the posts.

I will have at least 40 posts to do so was looking at some form of electric or petrol tool with a screw on the end?, if that even exists?.

I don't think it's an option to replace the orignal posts as I'd have to basically dismantle the fence.

If I can get another 5 years out of it I'd be happy enough!.

I own the fence on both sides and it is inside my boundary.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks for reading!.

20170904_140707.jpg
20170904_140659.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you are talking about is a post hole auger. They come in manual and powered versions.

Those are not recommendations, just the first two on Amazon for illustration. I have a manual one and it works well, but I have never had to use it close to a fence. I have never used a powered one.

Cheers, I have a manual auger but the handles are too wide to get in close to the fence, the petrol one you linked to looks interesting thanks for the link!.

Been de-wintering the garden and the posts are a bit loose in the ground!.

I've read setting wooden posts in concrete is bad idea as water creeps in and they act as a cup and hold water against the post rotting it, is this really a concern?.

What about packing the posts with a fine gravel/ sand mix instead?.

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen!.

manual auger but the handles are too wide to get in close to the fence

On mine the handle passes through a hole in the top of the upright and is held in place by a bolt with a slotted head that just presses on the handle. I replaced that bolt with a wing bolt, primarily to make it easier to take apart for storage w/o needing a screwdriver. However this also means that it is quite easy to move the handle along; either to gain leverage or to avoid obstacles.

Whether that would be good enough for what you want I don't know. Once the hole is started, then with the handle all at one end you could turn it 180°, loosen the bolt, slide the handle along, re-tighten the bolt and so on. However I find I need to lean on it somewhat to get the auger to grip and get the hole started, I'm not sure how well that would work with the handle at one end.

Also 40 holes is a lot to do by hand.

I've read setting wooden posts in concrete is bad idea as water creeps in and they act as a cup and hold water against the post rotting it, is this really a concern?.

I've never installed fence posts so I don't know personally. However there are plenty (non-fence) posts on this board about installing fence posts with concrete (or even postcrete which is specially for this) so I don't think it is universally regarded as bad.

AFAIUI, underground the post will be very wet and well above ground it will be dry, in both cases safe from rotting. It the area just above ground that can stay damp enough to rot.

I have seen lots of comments about bring the concrete up a few inches to protect the part of the post that is just out of the ground.

Sponsored Links
Just bought one of these, made by Hyundai.

UK supplied and UK parts backup, most of the others were no name and no parts support.

Debating wether to try and cut the fence into panels as I go (a lot of work!) or just put new posts down my side for the time being.

Either way it's going to be a ball ache but needs sorting as I doubt it will last another winter!.

Screenshot_20180417-224141_eBay.jpg

I've decided to cut the fence into sections and to make panels out of them, so I can pull panels out later for easier maintenance.

Unfortunately they aren't perfectly placed for 6ft panels but hey ho, just means trimming 6ft panels down if we ever decide to re-fence and the posts are still sound.

Job for Sunday!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back