how to fix batten to a concrete fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Below is a pic of my neighbour's fence, with the holes in his concrete post clearly visible. There are two, one at the bottom and one at the top of each fence post. At the bottom of this fence, where I'm replacing the fence at the back of our garden, I'd like to use these holes to fix a batten to which I can screw or nail my last fence panel. I hope it makes sense so far! Anyway, the holes are 15mm in diameter but I only have access from one side as his last panel has been slotted into the other sides and covers both holes on that side (unlike the photo). What should I use to fix my batten? I don't think nylon plugs go up to that diameter.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aren't you going to have the same problem with the angle if you fasten a batten directly to the post? And you could use a bracket to fit a batten to the post, instead of a panel.

Sponsored Links
Slide out the panel and put a threaded bolt through from the panel side then slide the panel back down.

If you use a m10 bolt its head will only be a few mm proud so the panel should slide down ok when you are done.

Below is a pic of my neighbour's fence, with the holes in his concrete post clearly visible. There are two, one at the bottom and one at the top of each fence post.
How can the bottom ones be visible?

I don't think nylon plugs go up to that diameter.
They do. http://www.fischer.co.uk/Home.aspx

But if your neighbour is cool with you sliding his panels out, a bolt running through would be a much better idea.

Indeed the holes at the bottom are not visible, I wasn't very clear.

I spoke with my neighbour and he's cool with us lifting the last panel to try and insert a couple of M10 bolts. If there's isn't enough of a gap, I'll go for rawl bolts. What diameter (M12 ok for 15mm holes?) and is there a risk of breaking the post when tightening?

Thanks for the advice so far.

There is always the risk of expanding systems bursting the concrete.
As a cheaper and maybe "safer" alternative you could use 12mm coach screws, screwed into lengths of 15mm plastic water pipe knocked into the holes.
Or you could even knock in hardwood plugs and then drill pilot holes for your fixings.
The options are endless (almost).

Chemical fixings another option.

But FGS it's a fence panel. How bad can the pull-out loading be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back