fitting fence panels to chain link posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well here goes first post please be gentle..
I have a new garden that needs the fence replacing on two sides (@40m ea side).
Both sides currently have random disintegrating fence panels set between concrete posts every 6ft. The posts are sound and have a good 6ft out of the ground but they are chain link posts not H profile and thus have pairs of wire holes at 18in centres. It looks like they have used these holes to fix the current fence panels boards onto dowels in the wire holes which hasnt really been adequate judging by the number of bodged repairs.
I want to fit closeboard fence panels rather than anything lighter as I want it to last

Option 1 is to bolt battens either side of the posts and fasten fence to that but it is lot of work/bolts and will leave bolt heads sticking out on the face where I would fasten a fence panel meaning I have to hang the panels off centre fastened to the sides of the battens which looks a bit wrong really.

Option 2 is go down the dowels route again either fastening through the panels or again fixing a batten to attach onto.

Option 3 .... I sort of ran out of ideas by the end of option 1 to be honest.

I know Im not the first to run up against this but what can you all recommend?.

PS I really need it to look good from both sides as well to keep the neighbours sweet for a possible planning application.

Sponsored Links
Option 1. Recess the bolt heads via a larger hole drilled just deep enough.

Thx. The other problem with this is that posts are set at 6ft so 3x2 battens will leave me 4in too short for standard panels. I dont fancy having to chop and build a pallet load of closeboard- although I could justify a nailgun of the back of it. :) I think I may have to go and try a couple of panels and take it from there

You could try a couple of local suppliers and see if they can provide custom sized panels at anything approaching a doable price.

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason why you cannot just use standard fence clips like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271122530...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54&ff19=0

but instead of nailing them as you would to a wooden post, you could drill, plug and screw them to the concrete posts.
I really want to avoid drilling into the posts because there seems to be a lot of rebar and mesh in them close to the surface. Im happy to reuse the holes that were cast in but with only a single row of holes through the posts I cant really use panel clips which need to be fixed at two points to be firm.

whatever happens its going to be a big job Ive just done a count up there are 46 posts

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back