Digging out a waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive got a solid floor and the waste is about 10inchs away from the wall set in the floor so need to dig it out and move it over about 5 inchs towards the wall so i can get the toilet to sit closer to the wall. What i need to clarify is that if i dig the floor out to expose the clay pipe can i fit a rubber elbow coupler to this and then fit aprox 5inch of waste pipe and another plastic elbow then pipe to the floor level where i need it to be im not going to have any fall on the piece of pipe between the 2 elbows it will be level will this cause any problems as its literally no more than 5 inchs of pipe that will be level hope ive explained properly??

Sponsored Links
110mm waste pipe only needs a tiny fall, but enough to shift solids as distinct from no fall. Don't fancy excavating concrete around a clay pipe with much hope of keeping clay intact!

From what you've explained, if I understand it correctly, this will block extremely quickly. There should be a minimum of 450mm drop before the first bend, and whilst in your own home if nobody's looking you can get away with, say, putting a single 45º bend in higher up, two 90º bends will simply not work. Do you know which way the bend under the floor is looking in relation to the wall as it stands at the moment? There may be a better solution to your problem. If you're feeling artistic, a diagram side-on to the WC showing both above and below ground would help enormously

[/img]

as you can see my brilliant diagram !! the problem I have is there was a gravity fed system in place before and I want to fit a close couple toilet I was going to box the back out origionally to overcome the distance but the suit arrived today and its just not practical because it looks smack bang in the middle of the bathroom.
the door hardly opens and you cannot get to the shower so the whole system needs to go back about 5 inchs

Sponsored Links
see my only concern is im not going to have enough room vertically or horizontally to put 45 couplers on and if i put a fall on the 5 inch pipe between the 2 90 degree elbows im not going to be able to get the pan connector on the toilet

OK this is pretty much how I envisaged it, having looked at your diagram. Do not use 90º bends there, they will block and then you'll just end up digging it all up again. As has been mentioned you may well break the clay pipe when you're digging anyway. The best solution would be to excavate a large enough hole to be able to cut and connect onto the horizontal clay run, then use an adapter coupling to go from the clay to plastic, and use a plastic large radius bend to divert the drain upwards to where you want it.

Alternatively, consider cutting off the clay low down as you propose, use a rubber coupler with a 4" to 1 1/2" reducer in it, then run 1 1/2" pipe up to a new macerator unit behind your W/C. It's not an ideal solution but would be much better than the two 90º bends you propose and would be a lot quicker and easier than the ideal as described above.

ok thanks for that its a big if because id have to double check the measurements but if i could get 2 45 couplers instead of 90s would that work??

or can i get pans that have waste oulets from the bottom rather than the back becuase thats what was in orgionally but it was about 30 years old!!

'S' trap pans are still available but you may have to hunt for one!

I'd go with muggles suggestion, dig down to the horizontal clay run, change it to plastic, and then you can locate the outlet exactly where you want it. The clay pipe isnt so likely to be concreted in at that depth, if it is, then McAlpine do a fitting similar to a pan connector that will insert into the clay pipe and convert you straight to 110mm plastic. Job done!

That gives you 205mm from centre of outlet to wall. You'll still have to rejig the soil to meet it. TBH if you are going to break the floor out, then thats the worst part. Should be fairly easy digging after that. To get sufficient depth for a coupling and 2x 45deg bends wont be far off the horizontal drain anyway I think. Either way you'll need to allow room to cut the clay square.

i dont mind having some boxing at the back off the cistern its mainly so i can move the pan back a few inchs so it gives more room in the centre of the bathroom would that bottom end outlet achieve that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back