Digging up my driveway to install a new gully and services.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to dig up part of my driveway in order to install a piece of drain pipe and a gully. One thing I am worried about though is hitting the gas pipe or the water pipe, I know there is a gas pipe buried in there somewhere but have no idea how deep it is or where it is in the width of the drive or even what it's made from. My house and the the driveway which I suspect is original dates from 1934. I know that a warning tape is placed above such pipes in modern houses but will there be anyform of warning tape for a c1934 gas pipe?
Also if digging with a regular spade, would I damage the pipe if the spade was to hit it? If so, anyway I can know if I am close to the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Highly unlikely there will be any warning on a pipe of that age. Gas, it is possible that a new (yellow) plastic service has been inserted through the original steel pipe but thats not guaranteed.... Water could be either lead or plastic. A CAT (cable avoiding tool) can be hired to locate any buried cables.

Best advice is to excavate very carefully until you've ascertained the position of any services. Any tool will go through a plastic or lead service if it hits it with enough force! (I have seen someone put a tine of a digging fork through a plastic gas service, irony was he was trying to clear the soil etc from around it so the machine driver could see it clearly and avoid it!) :rolleyes:

Ive just had a lot of work done on an extension and a driveway, so have seen all my pipes etc exsposed, as an idea to start , locate the water main, coming in to your house, then your gas meter, and electric to , now on my house (1950 x council) all these services ran from where they were located in the house off towards the main street at the front of the house.
if your still unsure keep a look out within a 1 meter wide strip from each entry all the way to the front of the boundry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back