Digging up pottery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not ashamed to say that when I dig up old pottery with writing on I get a semi boner.

The best thing I ever dug up was a glass bottle with Illkley Pharmacy on it, today I'm finding some nice bits but nothing full

IMG_9390.JPG

IMG_9392.JPG

IMG_9393.JPG

Sponsored Links
I dug up an old medicine bottle with thermometer inside once . Hope I didnt unleash the black plague

Other than that I often find bovril bottles

Sponsored Links
How much digging do you do? Thought you were a plumber?

How boring is digging?

Anyone watch the Detectorists?

I repair drains and water supply pipes so dig everyday. I like it but some of them are killers.

I have recently bought a 3quid car boot sale metal detector after watching detectorists series 1. I need to get a better one but its a start and now when I do any digging I shall be sure to get the detector out and see if my lucks in.

Digging is boring. I usually have other jobs on the go at the same time so I can divide the digging up. Ive just been renovating my parents property slowly but surely the last 6years. Mainly fence post digging and the odd bit of drainage but occasionally a trench dig for underground power cables or ethernet cable.

Does your foot ever ache Ian? Ive recently aquired an internal foot/bone ache from digging this hard summer mud. I try to swap sides but it never happens.

Funny you say that. I rarely ache, the only thing I get is the odd stiff shoulder but I went to A&E on Saturday and had my foot x-rayed.

It started to hurt on Monday for no reason and by Saturday it was bruised and swollen. Bury A&E was excellent, I was a bit embarrassed when they told me it wasn't broke and was sent home with some Naproxen.

Last weeks job was horrid, a load of crap backfill ontop of a poor previous repair
IMG_9313.JPG

I've had a metal detector for a while Never used is there is a meadow and stream at the bottom of me I may start there

My Grandfather owned "an" Ilkley pharmacy though probably after the bottle you dug up.

This was Ilkley between Bradford and Skipton. I think I left that one with the customer :(

Here's one that I kept in the van:
IMG_9406.JPG

If you are using a detector on private land/farmland you should seek permission from the owner. If you don't you could find yourself charged with trespass.
One of the lads in work is an avid detector and he usually strikes a deal with the owner of a small share of anything he finds. I think he makes a first offer of 5% when he sells a find but sometimes has to go higher.
he has found roman coins, belt buckles, bracelets and various other bits and pieces. 4 years ago he found a Roman coin which sold for over £18,000. Luckily for him he had a written note from the landowner he could search for free so kept the whole lot and bought himself a brand new Volvo car.
One of the tips he gave me was to look at any inland ground which had remnants of sea shells. This usually indicated settlements from long ago and may, just may, have something worth finding.

Sponsored Links
Back