Digital/Analogue TV Aerials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I apologize if this question is in the wrong place but I can't identify a suitable category, Anyway the question is this.
I have a freeview Plasma TV with an analogue aerial, I know it should be a digital aerial, but every channel is received satisfactorily except Channel 5. I sometimes get it on digital but only low quality signal and others times not at all. As ALL other digital channels are received with a 90% or better signal quality, would a new Digital aerial solve my problem.
My first reaction would be that if I am receiving all other channels OK with my present aerial then why should a new digital aerial be any different for Channel 5. Need less to say telecommunications is a complicated science in its self and Digital telecoms even more so, and I have no idea if Channel 5 is different for some reason to all other channel as such I have no idea if a digital aerial would solve the problem.
Any Smart Arse out there with any Idea?

Sponsored Links
I don't know but I did changed my aerial to DAT75 which I believe is the strongest on the market, for the price of it I thought what have I got to lose. The channel 5 is the weakness signal in my area (slightly snowing effect) but I have no problem with it now, having says that, I don't know if it will solved your signal.

It is a very big aerial, over 1.8m :!: will need a 2" pole for this, I've got one on my summerhouse which couldn't pick up most freeview channels but I can now, I'm not even in the freeview post code area although it was mantioned on here the search is not accurate

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT75.html

Hi, Thanks for the replies.
My neighbours don't seeem to have the problem I have although to be honest, half the time they are unaware of whether they are watching analogue or digital, so my questions are recieved with puzzled expresions. I don't have a problem with the analogue signal. The coverage as suggested by Freddie Mercurys Twin results in the answer that Digital Channel 5 is avaiable and good in my area. I think my only option is to try a new aerial and thanks Masona for the TLC link. Whether channel 5 is worth the £50 for a new aerial is of course debatable.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Undo all the aerial plugs and make sure there's no fine copper mesh wire touching the copper cable.

Hi Masona,If a bad co-ax connection were a problem, do you think that all other channels would be similarly affected? One thing I failed to mention was that I have multiple signal booster which works OK an all chennels but does not solve my channel 5 problem. I can actually see the transmiltter from which I get the TV signal albeit about 20 miles away, but the transmitter is obscured from view by my neighbours house which is about 30 yards away. Again this does no affect any chammel other that 5.
From what Information I can get from neighbours which at best is dodgy, I don't think any off them have digital aerials, but to be honest, I don't think they actually know what they have, as far as they are concerned - It Works.

The strong channels you may get away with it but wondering if it pick up the weakest channel

I also forgot to mention, the teletext words were all jumble up with missing letters so I have moved the aerial onto the other side of the bungalow wall and now have no problem plus also a better picture, I'm wondering if the location of the aerial could be the problem as well or maybe turning the aerial slightly for the strongest signal(?) I was told the reason the teletext wasn't working correctly, it was pointing at the tree in the road!

Hi Masona,
I have played around with the aerial quite a lot and I think I have the optimum position now. I always assume that TV aerials have a similar polar plot to the fundamental Di-Pole where there exists secondary nodes, but in the case of the multi element aerials the side nodes are sacrificed to give a very directional single high gain node. Not sure that my assumption is correct here as I basing it on old telecoms theory.
I think the only way forward is to save hard :LOL: for the £100 for the erection of a digital aerial and see if things improve for Channel 5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back