Digital showers, opinions wanted!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have come across good information on this forum in the past but only just signed up today to ask something myself.

Im in the process of planning an ensuite shower room off a bedroom in my home. I have most things planned how I would like them to be but the one thing im not sure about is what type of shower to install.

After a bit of research on the net im thinking about installing a digital shower. Im looking for opinions from people who install and/or use one on a daily basis. Im wondering if there is a certain make/model which is recommended, if there are issues with noticeable pressure/temperature drops when demand from something like a toilet flush etc happens, and general pros and cons of installing a digital shower compared to electric/power showers.

Im looking at installing one that runs off the combi boiler/mains cold water. I have a Potterton Gold HE 33kw combi boiler. In my main bathroom I have a Triton T80 electric shower which perfoms well (only notice a very slight pressure drop when the toilet is flushed/someone turns a tap on in sink etc) how would a digital shower compare to this?

The reason im thinking about a digital shower is I would like the ensuite to be completed as quickly as possible and dont fancy running another cable from the consumer unit to another electric shower due to the distance/route the cable would have to come from the consumer to the en suite. I have seen a few installation video's and manuals for the digital showers and it looks really simple.

Any suggestions/opinions people who have digital showers would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fitted a Mira Magna in my last house back in 2005.

Worked well; is still working well and hasn't needed anything other than the occasional re-boot to reset the temperature blending mechanism.

That was fed by a tank, so not sure if the pre-heat function would be much use on a bog standard combi.

It was nice, but I don't think it was worth the money. Although I am considering the Bath shower mixer variant for the new bathroom in the new house.

The ability to control temperature when other services is used is down to the boiler and the water supply. I think you might be disappointed as the Magna will need twice the water your crappy electric shower needs.

Sponsored Links
so are you saying that a digital shower wouldnt work as well as my electric shower? im not looking for super pressure just looks like a digital shower would be easier to install in this situation.

I was just stating the flow rate of the boiler for reference.

What the boiler has written on the box (and I am well versed with boiler flow rates) doesn't equate to what happens in real life.

The shower will do its job, but what that feels like when you're under it could be very different.

Your currentl shower has a pish poor flow rate and isn't run through the boiler.

A Magna (for example) will be taking twice the water and be sharing the supply with the loo.

The true pressure, flow rate, and size of the pipe work will determine the performance.

Besides most showers nowadays have flow restrictors. One of the first things I did with mine is go and remove them.

You can not compare an electric shower with a conventional shower (digital or otherwise) when they are the only appliance operating.

Used to sell tonnes of those digital aqualisa units 3-5 years ago. Easy to fit retrospectively with the mixing unit in the loft / airing cupboard.

The non-pumped version is designed with combi systems in mind and I don't ever recall getting flow rate related complaints. However, I did get at least 5% fail within 24 month (symptoms were mainly inconsistent temperatures).

Admittedly Aqualisa do offer a decent warrenty so they always were happy to send out one of their guys to sort out (for free) - and I'm fairly certain there was a common fault on the processor - which they either updated or replaced.

I'm pretty sure they will have sorted this by now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back