Digital TV Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a TV aerial at the weekend for our new digital TV in the kitchen. Used a CAI approved aerial, wideband, high gain. Aerial is mounted on a 5ft pole from top of apex on single story building. Checked out the location of the transmitter (Waltham 38km away) and set up the aerial using a compass to the correct bearing which I was pleased to notice corresponds to the other aerials on my street.

Switched on, tuned in and the picture and sound both analogue and digital were absolutely perfect. However whist viewing digital, aproximately every 3/4 minutes the sound drops out just for a second and occasionally when this happens the picture distorts also. What would cause that? is it likely to be the aerial or is it the TV? Doesn't do it on analogue.

Sponsored Links
I bought a digibox 3 years ago, and in the first year suffered quite a few freezes, but they have cleared up now. Are you on the edge of a good reception area perhaps?

Sponsored Links
on most box's you can view the signal strength somewhere in the setup options, take a look in the manual and check it out.

What sort of signal strength should I be looking for? Is there a recommended value?

Mine indicates 9 (which I think is the highest) Its a panasonic about 3 yrs old I have 2 of them & 1 from another manufacture, all sharing the same aerial. Which also goes to a dvb-t on the pc. I am N London.

Do you have any local taxi companies reasonably close to your home ?.

Do you have any mobile phone masts close by, these produce interference known as TETRA.

Alan

are you sure your not overloading the signal ,as excessive signal strength will give the same affects as poor signal strength

you using high gain aerial ,high mounted etc ,not using any distribution amp as well are you

chrisbyrd said:
i had exactly the same problem - just put it down to buying the cheapest box freeview box Argos had

got sky now :p
My 3rd box was the cheapest you could buy about £19 on special from currys. Its beter than the more expensive panasonic.

Of course he could have a faulty freeview box.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here are the answers.

Signal strength and quality are shown as bar graphs on the screen. Both are showing full strength most of the time. Signal strength dips by about 5% occasionally. Quality remains full.

Nearest taxi company is about 1.5 mile away in the opposite direction to transmitter.

No distribution amp. Aerial is directly connected to TV via 7 metres good quality coax cable. The sort with a foil and a screen. How would I know if the signal is too strong?

I'm not using a digital box. It's a new JVC 20" LCD TV with integrated digital tuner.

One thing to try if your signal is overloading and causing this problem is that you can buy signal attenuators these are quite cheap and are small fittings that simply plug into the end of your aerial lead. they come in varying sizes attenuating at 6db, 12 db, or 18 db and would be sold by the likes of maplin stores or similar. I would suggest you try a 6db and then if no different a 12db. It seems otherwise you have done everything correct and to eliminate the fault beingon the tv digi tuner you would have to soak test for a day or two on another proven good aerial (sweet talk your neighbour)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back