dimensions/defenition of handrail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are in the final stages of a change of use to dwelling. Our building inspector is not happy with our handrail for our internal stairs.

We don't have one :) We have formed it from the top of the guarding which is solid (approx 1m high, 100mm wide and exposed on both sides) with a 120mm board on top with rounded edges and a slight lip, to aid grip.

If this isn't acceptable when you form the hand rail from the top of the guarding, what is?

I couldn't see any definitions (other than height) regarding handrail dimensions in the building regs K. I'm sure I remember seeing something about grip-able dimensions somewhere but I can't find it now.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it because I've been looking at an old 1998 spec (don't know where I found that)...

I'm not sure it answers wholly for two reasons,
1. The diagram is referred to/from 1.36 - 'For buildings other than dwellings' (and mine is a dwelling)
2. It does not show how 'The handrail may form the top of a guarding if you can match the heights'

Thanks in advance!

It is easy to get bogged down with all the diagrams and details in the Approved Document.
But at the end of the day, all that is only guidance and is not legally binding. The actual regulation for stairs is reg. K1, which states, in essence, that stairs shall be 'safe'.
One could argue that a handrail which is not capable of being firmly gripped could make the stairs unsafe. Perhaps a 120mm wide capping may not be easy to grip, particularly by someone with small hands?

Sponsored Links
Fair point, but the guidance does say that the top of the guarding can form the handrail, I'm asking what that would look like as we're trying to keep the aesthetic lines as clean as possible around the guarding which is all smooth and solid....

Is there a 'standard' way of doing this, as it seems odd they explicitly mention it in the guidance...?

Thanks.

Put a crappy old handrail up, get it passed and then do what you like

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back