Dimmer switch help needed

Are you SURE you haven't replaced any other switches or light fittings in the house?

Was the old switch just one switch, or did it have two swithes?

Does the kitchen light work in conjunction with another switch (2 way)?

No, the switches in the kitchen are the only ones that control the lights in the kitchen. But as I said earlier, this specific dimmer is obviously linked somehow to the light in the bathroom....

Sponsored Links
It could be helpful to take a photo of inside that other dimmer, and anything other lights or switches you have worked on.

Was this ever a 2 gang switch, one switch for the kitchen, one for the bathroom?

If you turn off the bathroom switch (wherever that is), does the bathroom light work via the kitchen dimmer?

It may be the case that the kitchen switch needs the permanent live wire and the bathroom wire in the common terminal, and the kitchen wire in L1.

Without further photos and information it is not easy to say.

Make sure you work safely.

Surely the switch that was taken off was a two gang?

The red is common, the blue the switchwire for one light and the yellow for the other?

It could be helpful to take a photo of inside that other dimmer, and anything other lights or switches you have worked on.

Was this ever a 2 gang switch, one switch for the kitchen, one for the bathroom?

If you turn off the bathroom switch (wherever that is), does the bathroom light work via the kitchen dimmer?

It may be the case that the kitchen switch needs the permanent live wire and the bathroom wire in the common terminal, and the kitchen wire in L1.

If you look at my first comments in this thread, this explains exactly what happens with each switch.

Also, I have just confirmed the following:

Remove wire to L1: kitchen light does not work but bathroom light does work.

Remove wire to L2: kitchen light does work but bathroom light does not.

Does this help at all??

Sponsored Links

I've just re-read that....the bathroom light is not controlled by the switch in the kitchen and vice-versa. Just wanted to clarify that point.

Take the wire out of L2 and put in with the red in the common. Leave L2 empty.

Do this with the power off. Then try it and report back.

Take the wire out of L2 and put in with the red in the common. Leave L2 empty.

Do this with the power off. Then try it and report back.

Genius! This was the fix.

Really appreciate your help (and everyone else that chipped in here).

Chris

Check everything works as it should.

I can only guess the switch for the bathroom was originally in the kitchen, and has been altered at some stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back