Dimmer switch inconsistently working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I recently replaced a BG dimmer that had failed (wouldn't click) with this module, connecting to some LED strips:

Weirdly, it does work, but inconsistently - like 1 in 10 times it will turn on and the dimming works as expected, but even when it does work there's a ~3 second delay. I've tried it on both trailing edge and leading edge but same problem.

Is there anything obvious I should try, or is this dimmer just incompatible with my lights? I've got a similar module (lower wattage) in another room with standard LED spotlights and it works but also has the annoying ~3 second delay. They're relatively expensive dimmers so I'm a bit surprised (and annoyed ).

Very much an amateur so please let me know if there's any further info I can provide. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
3 second delay is a very soft start but ok, I can just about live with that.

What about the other issue where it inconsistently turns on the LED strips altogether? Is that the soft start confusing the transformers?

Is that the soft start confusing the transformers?
Possibly, some LED drivers require a certain amount of current to start operating.
However if started at full brightness they should work reliably all the time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response - unfortunately it doesn't work reliably even when at full brightness :(

Try a normal on/off switch temporarily - if that works, then it's 100% some problem with the dimmer.
If it's still unreliable then the LED driver is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back