Dimmer switch or bulbs causing flicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 gang dimmer switch, both sides of which switch 4x25 watt G9 bulbs.
One side is fine but the other will only flicker rapidly when switched on.
I'm sure I fitted dimmable bulbs but should I look at replacing the bulbs or the switch?
It has been fine for several years. Can a dimmer switch simply fail with age?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
With G9 bulbs had the same problem G9-comp.jpg the large one does not comply with UK law and you can not fit the cover on the bulbs, but no flicker, the small one cover will fit, but flickers with electronic switch, I had a large one fail so opened to see what was inside, and the smoothing capacitor was nearly as big as the smaller bulb. I actually found dry joints fixed and returned to service.

Bulbs in the UK need to show the lumen and watts, the import which worked showed neither on bulb or package so should not be sold in UK, only way to get them is on the internet, still illegal but seems they get away with it.

Are these tungsten (filament) lamps or LED?
The power rating suggests tungsten, if they are then its either the dimmer itself or a poor connection on the load side.

Sponsored Links
Are these tungsten (filament) lamps or LED?
The power rating suggests tungsten, if they are then its either the dimmer itself or a poor connection on the load side.
Sorry missed the bulb rating, did not think anyone still uses tungsten. With quartz G9 bulbs the covers must be fitted, they stop white hot bits hitting the carpet should the bulb explode, and also stops harmful Ray's from the bulb.

Once LED are fitted you don't need the covers, but without them the light looks very diffrent. I will guess the large LED around 6 watt, small one 2.2 watt, and most dimming switches designed for LED say bulb must be at least 5 watt, so converting to LED with G9 is a problem if you want a dimmer switch.

I use electronic switches, so I can switch on/off from bed side, but not dimming switches. Any other type of bulb there are smart versions, but not G9.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back