Dimmer Switch Replacement Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me with a problem.

I have just replaced my old hallway dimmer switch (2 gang 2 way 250W) which was sticking with a new Varilight dimmer (2 gang 2 way 250W) one. I made sure that all the wires matched back to the old wiring.

However, on turning on the new switch, not all the lights in either range come on. For the 1st set, only 4 of the 5 come on. For the 2nd set only 4 of the 6 come on.

I have now replaced it with a 400W 2g 2w, but I am still getting the same problem. These are all 20W halogens so I don't think it is a loading issue. I have replaced the errant bulbs and that hasn't done anything either.

If anyone has seen this before, I would love to know what I can do to resolve it.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the lamps 240v@20w or are they on 12v transformers. You did not describe what the lamps are.

Assuming you haven't omitted any wires at the switch (sometimes lights can be wired in unusual ways) you need to look at the lights.

Check you have 230 V feeding the transformers at the lights that don't work.

Check the lampholders are in good condition and haven't suffered heat damage.

If there are connector blocks between the transformer and the lampholder check these are in good order.

Try seeing if the transformers are ok and replace if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Thanks sparkwright I will give that a go and let you know how it goes.

Sheds, the hallway is split into 2. The first section is from my front door up to the hallway (I'm in a maisonette so this is the stairs up) and consists of 4 lights on the staircase and 1 on the ceiling pointing down (it's the 4 stair case ones that are working in this case). The second portion is the hallway itself which consists of 6 lights and it is the 2 at the end of the hallway which have stopped working.

Why dim hallway lights? :confused: Mood lighting?

Why dont you fit LEDs on a normal switch if energy saving is your aim? 3 watts each.

Dimmers dont save as much energy as the amount of light you loose.

Thanks sparkwright I will give that a go and let you know how it goes.

Sheds, the hallway is split into 2. The first section is from my front door up to the hallway (I'm in a maisonette so this is the stairs up) and consists of 4 lights on the staircase and 1 on the ceiling pointing down (it's the 4 stair case ones that are working in this case). The second portion is the hallway itself which consists of 6 lights and it is the 2 at the end of the hallway which have stopped working.
That's still 220W for a staircase and 2 lengths of passageway.

Madness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back