Dimplex Storage Heater: how to extract the bricks & reassemble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve used storage heaters for close on forty years and have two new and two old storage heaters. I currently power three of them during daylight as we have solar panels. One is a twenty year old (I reckon) Dimplex which I purchased a year ago which I had left in our porch but want to now connect & power. As anyone knows they are not exactly lightweight -:) I want to move this to our upstairs which means I need to take the bricks out, move it then reassemble. I don’t know the model’s code. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on the procedure? I've loosened the front and back panels so it should now come apart easily. Cheers BC

Sponsored Links
Ensure the things attached to the wall or so it cant fall over, ensure power is off and not likely to kick in.
Remove front cover, sometimes you need to pull off the control knobs first, then remove the front insulator panel to access the bricks, lift out bricks top row first then bottom row.
Undo the connections at bottom of each element and lift them out, remove back row of bricks, top first.

However first check unit does not contain ASBESTOS and be cautious and careful as the insulating stuff if NOT asbestos will still be fragile and break easy, as may the bricks

I’ve used storage heaters for close on forty years and have two new and two old storage heaters. I currently power three of them during daylight as we have solar panels
OOI, how much PV produced heat do you tend to get stored in them at the times of year when you want them to get hot?

do know the model range? Alternatively is it a 'Slimline' model?
A photo of the unit would help.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for all your comments.
I've checked re asbestos and I'm sure its OK.
Its currently standing in the hall, I'll twist it round 333rocky333 and follow your instructions.
RE: PE I just lightly charge them up, I learned after viewing my usage the first quarter of last winter!
I'll post a picture in a bit.
It's bloody cold up here in 'Stow on the Wold'!
Cheers BC

This is the item.
And thanks for everyone's comments.
BC

Attachments

• Dimplex S heater.jpg
    Dimplex S heater.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 1,421
Thanks for the picture; the NSH is the Dimplex 'Slimline' type.

So I'm working frommemory here so please excuse any variations...
There will be two or 3 screws on the face panel at the bottom - remove. Unscrew the sctrews on the control panel and lift awat and feed back inside.
Pull the bottom of the face panel towards yourself and lift away.
Remove the screws from the edge of the interior face panel starting at the bottomn and fiishing with the ones at the top edges.
Remove that panel carefully - very carefully as the insulation material may be stuck to the inside of the panel.
Place to one side carefully - it will be dusty but is not Asbestos.

Remove bricks from the top working downwards to expose the heating elements.
Loosen the (upper) screws in the connector blocks underneath the block chamber and remove the heating elements.
Remove the remaining bricks.

Transport and fix in new location.

Reassemble in reverse order ensuring you get the bricks the correct way round.

Hi wgt52
Thanks for that. I had surmised it might be so its good for that confirmation. I had it plugged in for forty five minutes and it works.
Tomorrow I'll run it for five hours which is my usual charging period and test what I get, if that's OK I'll then dismantle and carry it up to my office.
Many thanks BC

Hi
Seven days later I find some time to progress with this 'mission' (glacial would sum it up) then before I get started I get a distraction.
But I took some panels out today before I started with this move.
wgt52 I'm looking at the front panel (see pic) and wondered should I be taking this panel off, looking at the cabling on it.
Hopefully I'll find the time tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic.
She's The Boss will no doubt have other ideas as she has an educational practice which pays the bills.
Cheers
BC
PS with it plugged in for four and half hours at 2 in/1out it churns out a respectable heat -:)

Attachments

• WP_20180114_16_09_02_Smart.jpg
    WP_20180114_16_09_02_Smart.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 684
Just been reading the PDF CXLN_Operating_Instructions_Issue_003 makes exciting reading and your right.
Onwards and upwards -:) BC

I'm looking at the front panel (see pic) and wondered should I be taking this panel off, looking at the cabling on it.
You won’t get to the bricks unless you remove the inner panel.
PS an electric screwdriver is your best friend for this job. There’s a lot of screws.
PPS this may not be the exact installation instructions for your model, but they are more of less all the same
https://www.dimplex.co.uk/sites/def..._XLSN_Installation_Instructions_Issue_013.pdf

Hi everyone
You can tell I'm an occasional visitor, so much to do etc.
Any way I'd like to thank everyone for their support and advice re installing the Dimplex 'Slimline' heater.
I took half the bricks out, couldn't find anyone to help, got frustrated, twisted it at an angle, maneuvered up a few steps, leaned it on my chest and carried it up stairs. Stuck it on a trolley I had and rolled it into my upstairs study. Job done then Madam came out and said what have you done with it?
So I told her, she said I was stupid doing it with my back injuries and I'd regret it.
And three days later when I had my early swim I felt it, Ouch I had to take the next day off and it hurt for a week.
Still I now have a warm room so thanks everyone.
Cheers BC
PS anyone anyone attempted to dismantle a DEVAISE Adjustable Standing Desk got from/going back to Amazon, but its stuck in upright hoho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back