Dimplex storage heater offpeak doesn't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our peak boost seems to work but off peak store doesn't seem to work. We have Dimplex CXL N. Old type.. Tried looking for any thermostat switch, after removing the cover. But couldn't find any.. Any advice please.. Would be very helpful

Sponsored Links
chances are the thermal cutout has tripped. There should be a reset on the thermal cutout module, the little bar just above the blue marks in the attached pic, this would be pressed towards the wall or down until it 'clicks'. Make sure the power is OFF when you do it.

attachment.php

If this doesn't work then it probably needs a service/new elements and you'll need a qualified spark to look at it.

Thanks and you are star with spot on. In your image, i have marked the standing plate which i tried pushing towards the wall but it wouldnt click or do anything, it just comes back to standing position.
hope i am doing it right or you would advice that i need a pro..

If the thermal cutout has tripped you should hear a click when pushing. If it hasn't then I'd be looking somewhere else.
This would require checking a few things...
1) is there electrical input to the heater, it will have two inputs, usually fused, one for the main elements the other for the booster - Check at the consumer unit and wall sockets
2) if there is electrical input to the elements and are they ok, require replacing? Testing at and the resistance across the elements would need to be done
3) if 1 and 2 test ok then certain electrical contacts could need to be cleaned.
4) this model may also incorporate a melting thermal protection circuit, if so then that will need replaced.
All these would need to be checked by a qualified electrician who knows his way around testing these types of equipment IMO.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your advice. Not sure how but it started working on its own! All i had tried was to try and move the thermo stat vertical rod towards the wall!

Moving the lever must have reset it, or certainly enough to re-seat the contact. I would have expected you to hear a click but possibly not if it hadn't tripped the contacts fully open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back