"Ding dong" intercom?

GPB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I live in flats with an old, analogue 4+n intercom system. My handset is an Elvox (801 model, I think) but the buzzer scares my pets. I would like to change or modify the handset to replace the buzz with a traditional doorbell electro-mechanical "ding dong" chime, without losing the intercom/door unlock functionality.

Can anyone recommend any handsets or modifications that would provide this "ding dong" instead of a buzz as a drop-in replacement for the existing handset? Or is there a better way that I could approach this?

Sponsored Links
There is a better solution.

Train the pets to accept the buzzer, to recognize it for what it is and not to be scared of it.

Hello. I live in flats with an old, analogue 4+n intercom system. My handset is an Elvox (801 model, I think) but the buzzer scares my pets. I would like to change or modify the handset to replace the buzz with a traditional doorbell electro-mechanical "ding dong" chime, without losing the intercom/door unlock functionality.

Can anyone recommend any handsets or modifications that would provide this "ding dong" instead of a buzz as a drop-in replacement for the existing handset? Or is there a better way that I could approach this?
It won’t work. Ours went potty when the ding dong bell rang. It was as if she was expecting someone for her! It doesn’t scare our dog because Ive tried ringing it before coming in when she’s been on our own and there’s total silence, I think with ours it’s just excitement. Others that have called to outer house when we've been out have said the same. Anyway, we changed that for a ring doorbell and....she still goes potty. Does the same if someone knocks on the door too. As mattylad says, you need to train the dog. I’m still waiting to start our training.....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bridge rectifier , to 12v dc relay ...wired to ding dong door bell...

Just following up in case anyone else wishes to do the same thing - it works like a charm.

The wiring diagram for the Elvox 801 can be found at http://intercomsrus.com/intercom_handset_finder_tool.htm > http://intercomsrus.com/handset pdf/Elvox 801 Series Intercom Handset Data Sheet.pdf

I used:

BOJACK 2W10 2 A 1000 V Bridge Rectifier Diodes Axial 2W10 2 amp 1000 Volt Full Wave Electronic Silicon Diode

12v Dc Songle Power Relay Srd-12vdc-sl-c Pcb Type

Relay wiring diagram: https://diagramweb.net/songle-relay-wiring-diagram.html

Byron 771 Wired Door Bell, White, Classic Sound

Disconnect terminal 6 of the handset, to disable the buzzer, and connect its (now disconnected) wire to one of the AC terminals of the bridge rectifier. Connect the other AC terminal to terminal 4 on the handset, leaving its other connections intact.

Connect the + and - terminals of the bridge rectifier to the coil terminals of the relay. Finally connect the common terminal of the relay to the - terminal on the bell (1) and the N/C terminal of the relay to the + terminal on the bell and put a 12V battery into the bell.

The cats are now unperturbed when the bell rings!

Last edited:
Cats, not dogs. They don't mind the new bell at all! With the old buzzer, they used to run under the bed or other hidden places whenever they heard it, so this is a big improvement!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back