Dip in Floorboards in Room Corner

BGD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently removed a laminate floor in the dining room of our house (lived in it for 3 months). At the back of the house, in the far corner of the room the floor there dipped an inch and a half under the skirting board.

So, I removed the floorboards there today to see what the issue was and it seems that the joists in that corner of the room are supported by a few blocks of wood placed on top of a low brick wall, running along the inside of the main exterior wall. Plus the end joist is also supported by a cut to size piece of wood placed vertically underneath it.

Not being too familiar with how things should look there, I am not sure what to do next? Do I just add a small wooden block(s) on top of the joist to level the floor, before putting the boards back down and forgetting about it or is this a less than ideal way to leave the floor?

I've attached a few (poor) phone photos to show what I've suggested above. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Get some bits of slate or pretend slate ( non asbestos slates ) and use those to pack under the joist.

A crafty way to lift the joist is via a car wheel jack on a brick or two.

• Thanks
Reactions: BGD
Get some bits of slate or pretend slate ( non asbestos slates ) and use those to pack under the joist.

A crafty way to lift the joist is via a car wheel jack on a brick or two.

Hello Chri5, many thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back