Direct / Indirect Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!!!!!

I am trying to do some planning and trying to work out the best options for replacing my combi oil boiler.

Would like to use more electricity than oil basically. I did look at HP and don't like the price.

So was thinking a Indirect 300L cylinder with a couple of Immersion heaters in, and a oil system boiler. My question is, is it possible in this setup to give priority heating to the immersion heaters and only fire the boiler if demand is needed?

Also can I run UFH and DHW of this setup?

OR, if I go direct, and just rely on electric....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. Set the immersion heater thermostats 2 or 3 degrees higher than the cylinder thermostat which fires the boiler. That way, provided the immersions have heated the cylinder to temperature, the boiler won't fire for hot water.
2. You can run UFH and DHW off a system boiler (or indeed any sort of boiler). The UFH will need to be properly designed.
3. You could have DHW and space heating off an electric boiler, but the running cost may be significantly more than oil.

Would like to use more electricity than oil basically.

Why?

I don't know oil, but, for gas, the most economical thing is to run it for an hour or so, morning and evening, before and during your peak showering times. Once the cylinder is hot it will stop firing the boiler, and this timing will prevent it firing up frequently for small amounts during the day.

Sponsored Links
1. Set the immersion heater thermostats 2 or 3 degrees higher than the cylinder thermostat which fires the boiler. That way, provided the immersions have heated the cylinder to temperature, the boiler won't fire for hot water.
2. You can run UFH and DHW off a system boiler (or indeed any sort of boiler). The UFH will need to be properly designed.
3. You could have DHW and space heating off an electric boiler, but the running cost may be significantly more than oil.

awesome thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back