Disaster-in-progress - Decking supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is my DIY disaster-in-progress. I've undertaken to build a floating deck on the uneven concrete in our yard. As was previously suggested, I've tried to prepare supports from bricks on mortar.

I cannot overstate the difficulty and frustration of trying to level two bricks at the same height as each other and in relation to surrounding bricks (with a gradient between rows for drainage) while they slide around on mortar...

Now that I'm almost done, the supports within each column aren't the exact same height (varying between 1-10mm along the length of the column) so I'm putting mortar on top of the bricks to try to boost their height. I don't know whether that will just melt away in the rain that seeps between deck boards. A longer spirit level would have helped (mine is about 70 mm) because I was only able to compare adjacent supports.

I aligned my bricks by tape measure, using chalk to draw the outline but then as this would covered by mortar, the bricks deviated from their assigned locations (probably not enough to prevent continuation, but enough that I will have to take care that the joists and noggins are cut and placed with this in mind). In retrospect, a chalk grid, drawn before beginning, would have been a much better option than drawing around the bricks.

I'm still trying to tease out the lessons (apart from "next time, hire a professional", which kind of defeats the object of DIY). I think pea shingle would have been an easier way to level the ground because it would be adjustable, if a bit more expensive. I think that's the way I'd go, if I had to start again.

Sponsored Links
You will definitely need a bigger spirit level! :LOL: Use a long length of batten between outermost supports and build up the intervening supports to this level. An easy way to ensure the inter supports are level is with a taut piece of string between the outer supports and build up the inner supports to the height of the string.
Good luck and take your time. Planning beforehand is the secret to success.

Supposed to be on a weeks holiday but can't sleep.
Just popped in to see if anything was happening on the other boards as GD seems so 'dead' lately. :LOL:
Been doing a bit of 'pointing' on the back of the house and knocked off for a fag and a cuppa now. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Do you really need so many pads for the joists?

The deck that i've just put in is roughly 4m x 3m and is supported on 4 wooden posts concreted into the ground. Its solid as a rock!

I'd have though 5 pads would be plenty of the size of deck you show in the photo. One at each corner and one in the middle.

I'd build the frame and use a spirit level on the frame to allow me to build each pad up to the right height to get the frame level.

Thanks for the tips, Conny :)

Do you really need so many pads for the joists?

The deck that i've just put in is roughly 4m x 3m and is supported on 4 wooden posts concreted into the ground. Its solid as a rock!

I'd have though 5 pads would be plenty of the size of deck you show in the photo. One at each corner and one in the middle.

I'd build the frame and use a spirit level on the frame to allow me to build each pad up to the right height to get the frame level.

Are you sure? When I first posted my configuration, I was told to increase the pad density, which is what I did (though I notice, looking back at the thread, that I didn't say that I'd modified my design in that respect).

I'm still trying to tease out the lessons (apart from "next time, hire a professional", which kind of defeats the object of DIY).
Okay, credit for having a go, I'm think the best and easiest way for you is to start again which is not wasted is to break out post holes (not too many!) with a kango gun, put in posts plus concrete, run the posts higher than normal height which you can then cut the correct height later on.

make your joist runs a short as possible with your deck board running as long as possible, more support the merrier in my eyes although you have certainly taken this to a whole new level it isnt a bad thing really. you can pack up any short pads when the joists are laid, atm in selco there is a stabila level set which has a 1800mm and a 600mm level in for £35 plus vat, well worth it!

You should stretch a string line and level to that. Then little shims under the joists may be required just to tighten things up.
Also, its easier to use concrete blocks layed flat rather than bricks.
Or just concrete posts into the ground and cut them off afterwards.
Simon.

I used shims-a-plenty to fill in the gaps and while that makes it kinda unpretty underneath, no-one enjoying it from above would ever know my dirty little secret! :D

Here are some pictures:

Should I ever get another chance to build a deck, I'm sure it will benefit from my previous experience.

You could use a DIY water level - bit of transparent tubing, food colouring, couple of stakes and 4 pipe clips

use the clips to clip each end of the hose to one stake, tap the stakes in to the ground next to the two pads you want level then (using a jug) pour in some water mixed with food colouring until you are level with the top of one pad.

Well your efforts underneath were the biggest pile of cack I have seen in ages but nice job on the topside. As you say, nobody will ever know.

Until that mortar crumbles, of course.

Thanks for your harsh words, WP. Time will tell how the structure holds up. According to some, I did use more supports than necessary, anyway. If I notice any problems develop over the coming years, I'll do my best to fudge a fix and post it in this thread for you to shake your head and tut at. ;)

lol I was actually being ironic - over-engineering of decks is a common problem (tho not a bad one), plus I guessed that you know yourself what a bodge it is down there. I was sincere in my comments about the top.

Shame the weather is so rubbish so u cant enjoy the fruits of your labour!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back