No Lintel, need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new house has a garage. There’s a PVC window that’s about 1600mm wide, above which there is no lintel. There’s only about 9 courses of brick above the window, and the wall is only one brick deep (there’s a few supporting columns that are 2 bricks deep in brick bond pattern). I’m a joiner and fancy having a go at fixing it myself, never done anything like it before so I’m nervous.

The window sits flush between 2 supporting columns, so I’m worried that chopping out enough brick to support a lintel will destabilise the columns. I could perhaps go for a smaller window?

I’d really love to hear any advice about what I can do, but I can’t afford to rip down the garage and rebuild…I just have to try to make it ok. There’s a massive crack in the mortar that goes diagonally upwards above the window. Nightmare scenario for me.
B71D56C6-B7E9-4591-924F-AD102B5F3674.jpeg

Attachments

• 6597853F-693C-4EED-9DF5-C8B41F86E3E6.jpeg
    6597853F-693C-4EED-9DF5-C8B41F86E3E6.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 5F870420-A053-470F-9753-16DC49CB5809.jpeg
    5F870420-A053-470F-9753-16DC49CB5809.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Post a pic please, I'm sure you'll be able to fix it, so don't pull your hair out.(y)

My new house has a garage. There’s a PVC window that’s about 1600mm wide, above which there is no lintel. There’s only about 9 courses of brick above the window, and the wall is only one brick deep (there’s a few supporting columns that are 2 bricks deep in brick bond pattern). I’m a joiner and fancy having a go at fixing it myself, never done anything like it before so I’m nervous.

The window sits flush between 2 supporting columns, so I’m worried that chopping out enough brick to support a lintel will destabilise the columns. I could perhaps go for a smaller window?

I’d really love to hear any advice about what I can do, but I can’t afford to rip down the garage and rebuild…I just have to try to make it ok. There’s a massive crack in the mortar that goes diagonally upwards above the window. Nightmare scenario for me.
Why are you putting a lintel in? Is there a problem with the existing window or are you replacing it? If not, just leave it as it is?

If you do put in a new lintel, you should be able to bear it onto the existing columns with no problems. You'll only be cutting out a small area and it will sit at the top. Just make sure all the gaps between the lintel and the column are fully filled with mortar, and pack fully above the lintel

Fit a 5mm steel plate to the rear face, 150mm deep to the first two courses, drill into every other brick, staggered to each course and 200 or so past the bearing. If you can fit angle iron in all the better, and notch the ends at the bearing

Sponsored Links
Post a pic please, I'm sure you'll be able to fix it, so don't pull your hair out.(y)
Got some sorted out now, buddy. I’m gonna have to replace the door for security reasons and am particularly concerned with that

Why are you putting a lintel in? Is there a problem with the existing window or are you replacing it? If not, just leave it as it is?

If you do put in a new lintel, you should be able to bear it onto the existing columns with no problems. You'll only be cutting out a small area and it will sit at the top. Just make sure all the gaps between the lintel and the column are fully filled with mortar, and pack fully above the lintel
I guess I can live with the window for a while, the door though, that’s gotta be swapped for security reasons

Hardly a nightmare ;)

Woody's idea of plate is the least hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back