disaster rendered over stone walls with concrete!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hoping here that someone can re-affirm what I already think is going on with my walls. Had a builder re-render the outside of stone house in flat finish, as it had painted over pebble-dash on it. Old pebble-dash was to be removed first, however, builder found that there was yet another layer underneath that so, whilst I was out, rendered on top of everything - increasing the weight load considerably for starters. I have since had trouble with damp patches on the internal walls, and large cracks in the external render. I am worried for the structure of the property but the builder says the cracking is due to hot weather when the work was done. I do not believe this for one second. Have written to him several times and he is now shouting down the phone at me (the lady of the house) ending with a comment about seeing me in Court. He is a bit threatening so I have not written again - still wondering what the best course of action is.? I think it all has to come off and be re-done with correct mix. Any advice welcome :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi - thanks - no, not member of anything alas - so it's between 'them and us' - I was thinking I could get an independant report written on the work, or suggest this as my next step. Naturally this would cost money again, so if I give him some options that will involve rectification? - although I dont really want him touching the house again..... :)

Hi - thanks - no, not member of anything alas - so it's between 'them and us' - I was thinking I could get an independant report written on the work, or suggest this as my next step. Naturally this would cost money again, so if I give him some options that will involve rectification? - although I dont really want him touching the house again..... :)

You would need to get the correct legal advice, or maybe start with Citizen's Advice.

But to be getting on with - do you owe him money, and do you have any writen quote or contract etc with him?

Did he apply all the render in one day - ie did he give it a 'scratch' coat (ie first coat ) one day and finish coat a day or so after?

Sponsored Links
Hiya - I have paid all the money. The render was applied all at once, in one go, one coat, then painted later, maybe about a week later. Haven't heard of a scratch coat. Strips of metal ? were added to corners and are now showing through and going rusty - he rendered right over the telephone cables too.
I only have the written quote that was faxed over. I should say also that this job is a few years old now but has come to light as I was flooded last summer and have had other builders working here who have made comments on the exterior of the house - I also have stripped the wallpaper on the walls and thought - great, this woodchip is coming off real easy, horror of horrors, it was easy because it was wet! - I had the builder back a few months after it was first completed due to cracking and they filled cracks and repainted - so I was very naive in thinking that was the only fault. It is so frustrating as he says it is too late to blame him - I said if you build a house do you think its nothing to do with you if it falls down 2 yrs later then?! - sorry - having a grumble again... :(

I am sorry to hear you are having this trouble.

If he needed to use beads (those strips of metal) he should have used stainless steel or plastic ones so that they would not rust. It appears that ehhas uses galvanised beads which are only suitable ofr internal plastering.

What did he quote for originally?

Hiya - quoted for:
Removal of old render and re-render, Paint with masonry paint, also other work, Strip old render from End wall and re-point stone, replace gutters, fascia board and down-pipes, so not a small job overall. Quote is not detailed about types of mortar/mix etc., so one relies in good faith on their field of expertise. End wall will need work as conservation officer from council has looked at it and thinks that the stonework will suffer. Cracks in bedrooms above windows were also looked at by this guy after his work - forget what his answer was about that one - maybe it was too cold this time! - should I just go to small claims with a report and pictures directly, or try another written request to sort it? :confused:

Hi

Similar position.

Stone walls rendered outside in sand and cement (no lime). Some damp inside, is there anything I can do to resolve it (as I need to replaster the inside) or do I have to rip the rendering off the outside and re-do.

Grateful for any guidance

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back