Discharge through tundish when water heating's on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed yesterday when water heating was boosted that there was water trickling through the tundish - we have a megaflo-type setup and pressure gauge remains at the 3 bar mark as before.

I'm no expert, but I gather water coming through the tundish indicates a problem that needs attention - what are the likely causes though: water too hot (presumably thermostat faulty or wrongly set?); or perhaps faulty TPRV?

We did have a problem with noise on the hot taps that we suspected might be the TPRV - a plumber came and fiddled with it and the bassoon noise stopped so all seemed sorted, but I wonder if there's a fault with the valve set??

Sponsored Links
You need a plumber who holds a G3 qualification to work on this, for your own safety.

There is a process you are allowed to do yourself on the megaflow which might fix your problem. Have a look for a label stuck to the cylinder expłaining how to do this.

If you have no success then as said by Gav. You need to call a plumber qualified to work on them

Sponsored Links
Have put in a call to a plumber. Definitely wouldn't be trying to do this myself - i just don't understand half the mass of stuff in the tank cupboard - but hoped to get some pointers as to what might be wrong.

Previous house had warm air heating (brilliant: instant warmth, no bleeding rads or leaks or any of the other endless hassles of a traditional wet rads setup) and completely separate cylinder for hot water heated by a big immersion heater (not as expensive to run as you'd think, and every 2 years the immersion went pop but you just unscrew it and pop in a new one. Simples!). Really missing that house right now. Just about had it with megaflos and rads and boilers and whatnot. Sorry just needed to "vent"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back