Tundish question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a Megaflo CH / hot water system and there is leak from the tundish whenever water intermittently drips through it. I realise that the internittent drips mean that the air gap needs recharging but my problem is that the tundish leaks this water!

I can replicate the problem by manually turning the relief valve on and off, water simply seems to splash out of the tundish and drip down the pipe onto the plasterboard below.

It appears to be fitted correctly (right way up, vertical etc!) but a few of questions for you more experienced chaps (and or chappesses):

1) Have you seen tundishes leak before like this?
2) What can be done to stop the leak?
3) Is there a better solution to the tundish? (a bigger tundish?!)

I gather that a straight through pipe is not permitted (though it would solve the problem nicely!

Would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks
Sqwim

Sponsored Links
Where's a picture? The only time I've seen this is when it was fitted upside down.

If the outlet pipe from the tundish is incorrect it can cause this problem. The outlet should be one size up from the inlet and there should be a minimum 300mm to the first bend. There are further requirements on pipe size but this will be a good start.

Some tun dishes do not have an end stop on the 15 mm inlet.

This allows it to be fitted so the 15 mm prrotrudes a few mm into th air gap so it drips off the end.

Otherwise drips tend to run down the widening sides.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've been up in the loft and taken a few pictures to show the installation. As you can see, it's fitted the correct way up, the outlet is 22mm and the inlet 15mm (I haven't measured them but that's certainy the impression I get!).

The second one, the close up of the tundish shows the extent of the leak as there is a limescale build up all over the tundish, and that's after a rough clean! Contrary to how it appears in the picture, it is installer perfectly vertically!

Hope this helps.

Sqwim

To be honest we find that style of tundish crap, when the prv/tprv operates we find that regardless of d2 pipe size they always spray from the points yours is showing.

those dishes can swivel around and tend to leak where yours is.

more often than not now we make our own.

Fair enough, but what other sorts are there? Where can I buy them? How can I make one?!

I've tried googling (other search engines are available!) but not really found anything that might fit the bill.

Thanks
Sqwim

You could have a piece of 15mm pipe pointing down, just above a 28 or 35mm joint pointing up.

oilman";p="1191804 said:
You could have a piece of 15mm pipe p

Mate i have come across this problem quite alot,you can get a larger tundish to accomodate the water, its slightley a different style and a bit larger.

you can buy copper or brass ones, the style you have is normally similar to the altecnic range.

22- 28 reducer with 15 going in serves the same purpose in your case.

remember its purpose is to create an air break and for discharge to be visable.

To be honest its more important to stop the discharge than worrying about the tundish leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back