Discoloured brass trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have light switches with brass trims. The one on the left is to a bathroom and has been discoloured by the cosmetic / cream residues on my wife's hand after doing the makeup.
Both are the same age.

Is there a way to üolish it up to its former glory again or is this wasted for good?
Brass trim.JPG

Sponsored Links
Looks like general oxidisation from being in a damp atmosphere as much as anything to me. Can't see the makeup making much if difference. Still it depends on whether it's solid brass or plated. If it's plated then replace it. If it's solid then you could I suppose strip the finish, polish, and then spray with a lacquer meant for protecting bare metal. If possible, and not too expensive then it's probably a lot less hassle to just replace it.

We have got 3 more trims in the same room - bedroom - and they are fine. It is not particularly damp in there. Replacing is a problem as they are a Hamilton series and that unfortunately has been discontinued and we would have to replace quite a few switches and sockets.
Can I polish brass as I do car paint???

I'd use Brasso or Solvol Autosol for brass. If the marks are really bad you might have to use very fine wet and dry on it to remove the marks.

Sponsored Links
Rather than wet and dry, green nylon pan scourers used with metal polish will take off the tarnish without serious scratching.

The pitting could be just to the lacquer , brass switches are lacquered to prevent the need for polishing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back