Discoloured paint from hot water pipes (not leaking)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new house recently so the decorating has begun, however one of the rooms has a slightly darker line of paint going down the wall and light cracking occasionally, when I touch the wall it's hot (same time as central heating is on so it's it's a heating pipe). The house is dot n dab plasterboard so the pipes are probably touching the back of the plasterboard/breezeblock. It's definately not a leak though, the dark line purely follows the pipes direction and there's no staining etc associated with a leak. House was built in 1990.

Is it just rubbish paint perhaps?

Sponsored Links
My mum had a similar problem.

Where the hot and cold pipes are buried in the plaster on a party wall she too had a dark line. About 5 years ago I lined the walls with 1000 grade paper and repainted with Dulux Trade matt emulsion. The dark line has not reappeared. I don't honestly know why the lining paper has helped, but it has. I had always assumed that the problem was the cold water pipe rather than the hot pipe (which is next to it) but I can't be sure.

Guess it's not a common problem, these are both hot with it being the central heating. Want to avoid lining paper (an extra task to the list). We're painting it a darker colour this time so hoping it will hide it anyway I guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back