Disconnecting a Gas Cooker ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've looked through the Forum and I know that there are similar questions but I wanted to make sure.

I've uploaded a pic of the existing fitting in my albums so hopefully, you should be able to access?

Is this type a bayonet in which case, do you simply turn to the right (anti-clockwise) and remove.

I've read that they could still leak so how can you test ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes just screw it out.

They can leak yes not alot though, you will have to use a manometer to do a tightness test to test for leaks.

Hi,

I've looked through the Forum and I know that there are similar questions but I wanted to make sure.

I've uploaded a pic of the existing fitting in my albums so hopefully, you should be able to access?

Is this type a bayonet in which case, do you simply turn to the right (anti-clockwise) and remove.

Thanks

Press in, turn to left (anticlockwise) to unplug (dis-connect)

Remember:-

Lefty loosey
Righty Tighty :D

Nick.

They can leak yes not alot though, you will have to use a manometer to do a tightness test to test for leaks.

Thats illegal for somebody who is not competent to do gas work as it involves opening a gas supply and in any case they would not know what to look for on a manometer.

Its therefore inappropriate advice for you to encourage him!

A simple half way test to see if a bayonet socket is leaking for a DIYer is to spray shaving cream into the socket and see if it bubbles. At least that does not expose a DIYer to the risk of opening a gas connection or mis interpreting a manometer. Its not an official test method though!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Shaving cream??

Probably the most suitable stuff a DIYer ( male ) is likely to have around.

I cannot say washing up liquid because we are trained NOT to use it !

Shaving creme is less harsh as its designed to be put on our tender faces!

Tony

or stick a condom over the end but if it blows up like a balloon dont pop it with a lit match :eek:

Thats illegal for somebody who is not competent to do gas work as it involves opening a gas supply and in any case they would not know what to look for on a manometer.

im not sure it is illegal for a home owner to disconnect a hose from a bayonet fitting. surely the rule of thumb is, if the customer can do it ( re light pilots, cooker hoses, fire front removal etc) its not deemed as " work" under the gas regs?

im not sure it is illegal for a home owner to disconnect a hose from a bayonet fitting. surely the rule of thumb is, if the customer can do it ( re light pilots, cooker hoses, fire front removal etc) its not deemed as " work" under the gas regs?

thas bang on the money fella dunno about fire front removal though depending what you class as the fire front ;)

you would be amazed at the amount of grannies in glasgow that can whip off afire front on a firegem visa 2 deluxe to " clean oot the stoor"!!!!!

Its not "gas work" when its done by the home owner!

But it IS gas work when its done by a CORGI !

reading the original post, my interpretation is the poster is not corgi because why else would he send in a picture of a bayonet fitting, ask how to disconnect it, probably would`nt know what a manometer is never mind L.D.F!!
hows the view up there on your pedestal, brother.

Hi,

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back