Disconnecting Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to disconnect three Radiators but despite tightening the lock valve there is still water gushing out at high pressure when I undo the nut. The same thing happens on all of them.

I have tried to get in touch with my plumber but he isn't available at the moment.
I hope someone here can advise as I need to remove them asap to continue with what I am doing.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You have closed the normal valve at the other end haven't you? If your system is pressurised and there's some air in the rad then you might get a bit of a gush- less messy method would be to bleed the rads (with both valves closed) til water stops coming out

Hi, yes, there's actually very little water in the rads at the mo. I'm building a timber frame extension and got the plumber to connect the rads up prior to me putting the final plasterboard sheets on so that I could ensure all the pipes would be fully hidden.

So yes, both valves fully off, and I'm pretty sure the water is coming out of the pipe under high pressure, not the radiator.

I've disconnected rads many times in the past and never had this problem.

If you close both valves and then open the air bleed at the top of the rad ,then water should stop coming out the bleed valve after a few seconds. If it continues to come out under pressure non stop ,then one ,or both ,of the rads valves are letting by ( not fully closing ).

Sponsored Links
If you close both valves and then open the air bleed at the top of the rad ,then water should stop coming out the bleed valve after a few seconds. If it continues to come out under pressure non stop ,then one ,or both ,of the rads valves are letting by ( not fully closing ).
Yeah that. Some TRVs may not have an actual OFF setting, just a FROST minimum (usually a * symbol).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back