Reconnecting Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to reconnect a radiator - the nut from the radiator will not screw back on to the pipe connection. It tightens and then slackens appears the threads were damaged when the radiator was originally fitted. Can someone advise what I need to do without having to call a plumber if possible e.g. can I rethread the part on the pipe, I believe there is a tool that can do this?

Sponsored Links
I had the same trouble

You can unscrew that whole attachment from the radiator that the nut is on and replace it with a new one if need be. Or maybe try a few extra wraps of PTFE around the thread and see if the nut will be tight enough with that on - although i'm sure somebody here may correct me on that method.

Hi
Thanks for the reply I will try the PTFE tape as have this. Not sure about the nut coming of the radiator, looks as if it is sealed to it?

PTFE Tape worked the radiator is now reconnected, but I have slight leaks from both connections - how can I stop these?

Sponsored Links
If the threads are knacked then you will have to replace the valve or rad inserts. Won't cost you much, probably less than a £5 which will give you peace of mind.

If, however, the leaks are only slight then try a bit more ptfe tape. :D

The radiators are brand new as a new heating system, radiators haven't been used til now, and i took them off to decorate.
The connection where the thermostat valve is leaking from connection closest to radiator. Other connection is leaking closest to pipe. If I attach more PTFE tape I will have to take everything off and drain radiator again?

louise1015blue said:
will "I have to take everything off and drain radiator again?

Fraid so. Make sure the pipe is not going in at an angle when you make the connection. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back