Disconnection of kitchen plinth fan heater (Floor level heater delete)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen in my flat is being rebuilt. Originally, under one of the kitchen base units, there was a fan heater on the floor level. The new kitchen doesn't come with a similar heater. What should be done with the wire that was connected to the heater? The wire comes out of the bottom of a plaster wall through a hole. Behind the wall, the wire is connected to a switched fuse spur accessible on the worktop level. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect at spur & heater, insulate each core both ends of the cable & leave in place, it might come in handy for something in the future.

Yes, I was intending to keep the wire in case of future heater install. Do I just leave the cable laying on the floor hidden below the kitchen base units? What is the proper way to insulate the ends? Do I need to leave any markings?

Terminate the cable in a junction box Below cabinet. At the disconnected switch position ,put each conductor in individual , insulated terminal blocks or wago's,which can sit in the mounting box , behind the switch.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean I get a terminal block of 3 terminals and chop it into 3 individual parts and then feed one wire into each and tighten? If this is what you are saying, why do the 1-wire blocks need to be separate? Do the blocks need to be further wrapped in electrical tape?

Not quite. You can use a block of 3 ,with one conductor in each terminal. That's quite Bulky , ok if you have space. Splitting into 3 seperate gives you a bit more leeway in terms of physical positioning if space is limited.

Not quite. You can use a block of 3 ,with one conductor in each terminal. That's quite Bulky , ok if you have space. Splitting into 3 seperate gives you a bit more leeway in terms of physical positioning if space is limited.
OK, I just wanted to know the reasoning. In any case, I shouldn't need to do this because the builder will. I will judge his competency by seeing how he does it.

Builders + electrical work = disaster.
I used the term builders loosely. A building contractor would be able to deploy people of different skills including an electrician. Although, it would be quite natural for them to cut corners by getting the plasterboard guy to do some electrics since he has to play with the wires and boxes anyway.

So I will use the defunct wire as a gauge for the contractor's competency. If they are not up to scratch, I will reduce their slack.

Last edited:
You could leave it connected at the fused switch spur and just terminate the ends under the cupboard in a junction box or Wago connector inside a suitable enclosure.
'Electrical' tape, as you call it, should not be used for insulating as it has a tendency to unpeel after a time.

You could leave it connected at the fused switch spur and just terminate the ends under the cupboard in a junction box or Wago connector inside a suitable enclosure.
'Electrical' tape, as you call it, should not be used for insulating as it has a tendency to unpeel after a time.
That doesn't seem a good plan. If there is water spill in the kitchen, there could be electrocution. I had an accidental spill in the past as I was letting the plumbers in to do water leak checks.

Which is the same risk you have at present with the plinth heater sitting on the floor, many appliances in the kitchen make use of water, as long as you have the appropriate protection in place on the circuits then there is no issue with leaving the cable terminated on the floor behind the plinth.

Leaving a live wire on the ground for people to grab or cut isn't a good idea. A dead wire is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back