Disconnection of kitchen plinth fan heater (Floor level heater delete)

Under the units, a cable hanging out of the wall was never a good idea. If it was terminated in a flex outlet or an unswitched socket, that would be fine. In future you can use it for some other appliance if you want, such as a dishwasher, garbage gobbler, or another heater.

A few people complain about a socket on the grounds that the fuse in the plug is not easily accessible, but IME plug fuses blow approximately zero times per year so not really a concern.

Sponsored Links
Turns out the builder and his people are useless. They left the live wires in a terminal block on the floor and kept it switched on.

Rather than paying them to do it, I will do it myself. What rating of junction box do I need? I want something cheap and adequate for a disconnected-at-the-fuse-spur wire. Here is the selection: https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=junction+box

Sponsored Links
There’s no cable strain relief on those JBs. If you use that sort of terminal box it must be screwed to solid support.
Something like this would better

There’s no cable strain relief on those JBs. If you use that sort of terminal box it must be screwed to solid support.
It's a free flexing cable randomly thrown onto the floor. Is strain relief needed?

So, I have 2 votes 15V plus. That sorted out the voltage. Should I have water proofing? The kitchen area is susceptible to accidental flooding.

Last edited:
It's a free flexing cable randomly thrown onto the floor. Is strain relief needed?

So, I have 2 votes 15V plus. That sorted out the voltage. Should I have water proofing? The kitchen area is susceptible to accidental flooding.
Fix it to the wall. Above floor level. Run the cable into the jb from below so any spillage running down the cable will drip off the loop and not run into the jb.

Fix it to the wall. Above floor level. Run the cable into the jb from below so any spillage running down the cable will drip off the loop and not run into the jb.
There is no longer access to the wall. I will use double sided tape on the junction box and stick it to the bottom of the kitchen base unit.

I will go for Taylortwocities's recommendation.

Last edited:
I was able to disconnect the live and neutral wires of the defunct cable from the fuse spur. The earth wire was naked and sleeved together with two other naked wires. These wires were likely in contact behind the plastic box. So, I saw no point in disconnecting the defunct earth from the spur. Any down side to this arrangement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back