Disconnection Times

OK. So you have shown that a TD (S type) RCD will comply because it will disconnect within 200ms.

Back to my original question then...

How can a G type RCD on a TT supply comply if the standard for them is 300ms?

Sponsored Links
OK. So you have shown that a TD (S type) RCD will comply because it will disconnect within 200ms.

Back to my original question then...

How can a G type RCD on a TT supply comply if the standard for them is 300ms?

First, these are two different standards; the disconnection time required for circuits and the performance requirements of the RCD. It's up to you to meet the disconnection time. How do you do it? Easy:

Keep your Zs at a value which will trip your RCD within the required time. If you take the maximum acceptable RA (or Zs) as 200 Ohms, you'll get over an amp of earth fault current, which, even on a 500mA RCD, should meet a time of 150ms (table 3A, Appendix 3)

As Dingbat says, as long as the current is significantly higher (or as it was worded 2x) then 200mS is achievable.
I can't think of any general type RCDs I have tested recently that don't trip at their rated current exceeding 200mS tbh.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back