Discontinued paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I painted my bedroom with Dulux Gentle Lavender. This has now been discontinued but I need to repaint a section of the room. How on earth do I get hold of this paint now? I really don't want to repaint the whole room!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why do you believe the colour has been discontinued? Do you simply mean that Wilko (or where ever) no longer sell it as a pre-mixed colour?

Dulux produce thousands of different colours. Most of those are never available as pre-mixed colours. Most stores mix colours on demand, eg Homebase and B&Q will both mix the (DIY) Dulux range of paints. Alternatively, you can visit a decorators' merchant that sells Dulux trade

https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/AE0115030F/Gentle Lavender

It is true that they do discontinue colours but in over 30 years of professional decorating, I have only come across that once. Effin' annoying- I went to my supplier with a photo of the paint code number from a 10 year old tin, they couldn't find it on their system. Dulux confirmed that it had been discontinued. Using the old paint as a sample I had it colour matched but it was noticeably different.

I have also come across colours that have changed over time. When Dulux change their base colours and or tints, someone is supposed to ensure that the colour doesn't deviate from the official Dulux sample, but sometimes they do until they are corrected.

Why do you believe the colour has been discontinued? Do you simply mean that Wilko (or where ever) no longer sell it as a pre-mixed colour?

Dulux produce thousands of different colours. Most of those are never available as pre-mixed colours. Most stores mix colours on demand, eg Homebase and B&Q will both mix the (DIY) Dulux range of paints. Alternatively, you can visit a decorators' merchant that sells Dulux trade

https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/AE0115030F/Gentle Lavender

It is true that they do discontinue colours but in over 30 years of professional decorating, I have only come across that once. Effin' annoying- I went to my supplier with a photo of the paint code number from a 10 year old tin, they couldn't find it on their system. Dulux confirmed that it had been discontinued. Using the old paint as a sample I had it colour matched but it was noticeably different.

I have also come across colours that have changed over time. When Dulux change their base colours and or tints, someone is supposed to ensure that the colour doesn't deviate from the official Dulux sample, but sometimes they do until they are corrected.

Yes, I couldn't find it in any of the high-street places or the big DIY stores or even Amazon!

Just wanted to give an update.
A 2.5L paint bucket will set me back about £40!!!!!

I bought it from Wilko for a tenner.

Is this some sort of a Dulux scam ? Retire paints and then force people to buy from a Dulux centre or buy the current paint available and repaint the whole room.

Just wanted to give an update.
A 2.5L paint bucket will set me back about £40!!!!!

I bought it from Wilko for a tenner.

Is this some sort of a Dulux scam ? Retire paints and then force people to buy from a Dulux centre or buy the current paint available and repaint the whole room.

Well, you have a choice, pay the £40 or repaint in a different colour that costs £10.

Not really a choice. More like a hostage situation.

If you paid a tenner for 2.5L, it would suggest that wilko were selling discounted Dulux end of line stock. The colour hasn't been discontinued, they have decided to stop selling as an off the shelf product.

At a guess, the RRP for 2.5L of Dulux retail emulsion is about £25. BTW, the link I provided was £32.34 for Dulux Trade, which is a superior paint. If you don't want to pay more for the better quality variant, you should be able to walk in to any DIY shed that sells the retail version of Dulux and has a paint mixing service. Just ask them to mix it for you. Paints mixed on demand are understandably more expensive than off the shelf colours. Someone has to pay for the mixing machines and staff time to mix them.

I do sympathise with your frustration but rather than blaming Dulux, perhaps you should be grateful for the fact that you were able to buy the first tin for a tenner. Perhaps the moral is to buy two tins. Sorry, that is not supposed to be condescending. Last year I found a 50m roll of Kingsplor sandpaper on Amazon for £8. It was 4 to 5 times cheaper than I would have expected to pay for a decent roll of sand paper. I only purchased one roll because the price seemed to be too good to be true. I now regret not purchasing another 4 rolls at the time whilst the price was ridiculously low.

I think one needs to stick to universal colours rather than fancy colours that these paint companies come up with. If you paint your walls white, you will be able to buy white paint 50 years later too :LOL:

I think one needs to stick to universal colours rather than fancy colours that these paint companies come up with. If you paint your walls white, you will be able to buy white paint 50 years later too :LOL:

Fair call but that leaves you with white and magnolia (common to most brands). That said, white varies from one brand to another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back