Discrete Decking Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right area? Anyway, I'm looking to install some decking boards on a balcony I have. The boards are not the standard ridged boards you see a lot of, but a smooth hardwood board (Balau, I think its called).
I was wanting to have a discrete fixing system that the supplier of the boards supplies. However, they do not recommend it for these boards due to the type of wood and the amount of movement that the boards will have.
I don't want to screw the boards through the top as I would end up seeing hundreds of screws along the length of the deck, in which case its pointless spending the extra for the hardwood board.
So doing some digging on the net brings up a 'Kreg' Jig. This looks the part and would probably do what I'm needing. But at nearly £70 its not cheap! Are there any alternatives you could recommend? Or is this the way to go? Also, what Screws (zinc / Stainless Steel etc) would you advise?

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi Big-all, Thanks for the response. The boards are ok to get wet. But they recommend Oiling otherwise they will naturally weather and go grey. But essentially, they are sold as Decking so are definitely good for the job. They're not T&G just smooth edged and will be spaced at 3-4mm.
I'm not sure if that clip will give enough security if the boards have a fair bit of movement and the supplier recommends screwing down? I was thinking of screwing through the side of the board. Hence why I was looking at the Kreg system. But appreciate its probably not fully hidden, but better than on the top,.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kreg-Dec...609180&hash=item54548a13e7:g:U~kAAOSw1WJZMm-A

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I might try a few of these to see how it looks. Might just do the job.

the kreg can only work on one edge as the other side will have a board against it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back