Disguising or Replacing Odd tiles ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm in a rented property & have a bathroom that has been tiled floor to ceiling with white tiles, only been up couple years & still look fine .. so no problem there.
The problem is, dotted around is a pattern tile that looks pretty naff ... Is there a way of replacing these odd tiles without having to replace all the tiles ??

Alternatively is there a way of disguising the pattern on these odd tiles ... Is painting an option ??

Sponsored Links
The chances of you finding identical tiles to replace with is remote...to say the least.
See if there are any under the bath behind the panel - I always leave whatevers left in a box behind.
Other than that, see if theres any inconspiuous areas you could remove them from and replace with the best match you can find...use the originals where it will show. Chances are they will come off easily...few get stuck on well :LOL: if there plasterboard behind - cut out the board withthe tiles as they will break before coming off the plasterboard.
Normaly, removing the grout from around the tile you want to remove with a grout raker and then (as mad as it sounds) sponge warm water in and with some time and persuasion they will come off unbroken.
Clean them up likle new before attempting fit them where you removed the decor tiles - you don't want them standing proud. Good luck with it.

edit - oh, and use a wallpaper scraper to leaver the tiles off, not a screwdriver or chisel, and don't lever on the corners.

Hi folks

I'm in a rented property & have a bathroom that has been tiled floor to ceiling with white tiles, only been up couple years & still look fine .. so no problem there.
The problem is, dotted around is a pattern tile that looks pretty naff ... Is there a way of replacing these odd tiles without having to replace all the tiles ??

Alternatively is there a way of disguising the pattern on these odd tiles ... Is painting an option ??

You can get tile transfers. Tile paint is an option but will look rubbish. How about replacing them with mosaics? You might find that with a bit of jiggery pokery, an exact number of mosaics will fit where the ugly looking tiles are. Follow Durgo's advice for removing.

Good luck

Hi folks

You can get tile transfers. Tile paint is an option but will look rubbish. How about replacing them with mosaics? You might find that with a bit of jiggery pokery, an exact number of mosaics will fit where the ugly looking tiles are. Follow Durgo's advice for removing.

Good luck

Yes ... covering tiles with a transfer would be favourite but the choice in my local DIY places is very limited ... Does anyone know where a wider range would be available ... online perhaps ??

Sponsored Links
Have you checked with your landlord/letting agent to confirm that you can make any changes to the decor.
I mention this because a lot of my work comes from landlords asking me to return their property to its original condition after a tenant has decorated/made alterations. The cost is normally taken from the tenants deposit and causes grief and heartache all round.

Have you checked with your landlord/letting agent to confirm that you can make any changes to the decor.
I mention this because a lot of my work comes from landlords asking me to return their property to its original condition after a tenant has decorated/made alterations. The cost is normally taken from the tenants deposit and causes grief and heartache all round.

Hi ... Yes, thanks for the advice ... all been cleared with the Landlord ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back