Is 6 1/2" by 9 3/4" a standard tile size? (165mm x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a few tiles from the bathroom wall that had raw plugs in them (previously had various fixings in there). Johnson's Tiles (Stoke-on-Trent) don't have anything in that size - they suggested cutting a mosaic tile down to size - a 12x12 grid of 23 mm tiles 4mm thick with a 2mm spacing - it's possible but will probably look terrible. The existing tiles are 6mm thick and say Holland (country of origin?) 88 (year of manufacture?) and Sphinx (name of tile pattern - actually it's a plain white tile with a couple of faint diagonal grey spray patterns on it but plain white would do I think)

So - is it standard size I'm likely to find a replacement for or am I best to try and cut down a mosaic or maybe have some glass tiles (or something else) cut to size?

For the sake of a dozen tiles I don't want to have to retile the whole bathroom.

I can't remember the last time a DIY job went smoothly!

Neil

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately that size is discontinued but Sphinx do still produce a 248x331 which I could cut in half but they are 8mm thick - maybe, if there's an appropriate tile and can use a chisel to remove 2+mm from the surface of the finishing plaster underneath the tile and use an 8mm thick tile.

I have only 8 tiles (left by previous occupants) but there are at least 12, possibly 16, I would really like to replace - I've removed 5 tiles already so either I'll have to leave the wall with tiles that have 2 or 3 rawplugs in them or what? Any ideas? Obviously I can drill the raw plugs out and simply fill them but it won't look that great. I'll either have to get some glass cut to size perhaps or cut down a mosaic tile as I decribed unless anyone can think of something better.

cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
Maybe you can make inserts from mosaic tiles where the plug holes are, instead of changing the whole tiles. It would require precise cutting though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back