Removing border tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

In the bathroom of our new (to us) house, there are plain white tiles with a border of thinner tiles with a raised flowery pattern. The white tiles, although they must be about 12 years old, are sound and in good condition. With a clean up of the grout they will look fine. However, I really hate the border and it makes the room look reallly dated.

The border runs as the top row of tiles (wth a plastic finishing strip above) along the wall behind the loo & basin, then goes between the rows of white tiles around the bath. Hope that makes sense!

Is it possible to remove these borders tiles without damage to the while tiles? If so, what would be the best method of doing so? What would happen if lots of wall came away too?

I had thought of using tile paint on this border, but the raised flowery pattern would still be noticable, and from what I have read, tile paint isn't great anyway.

We have the same flowery border in the kitchen in a different colour, but all the kitchen tiles are coming off in 2 weeks when the new kitchen goes in! :D

Sponsored Links
you can try scraping out the grout between the ones you want out and those that are staying or around the offending tiles back to masonry, then prise the first tile out with a screwdriver, then you can get in with an old paint scraper between the tiles and wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back