removing border tiles whilst keeping the rest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a border at the top of a run of plain tiles (on top of the border is a plastic edge strip to finish things off), they were fitted by the previous owner and I would like to remove just the border ones to replace them with ones i prefer (I quite like the plain ones). Whilst i realise the no one can comment if they will come off the wall cleanly I was wondering what happens about the grout interface between the plain tiles and the border tiles.

My plan was to knock the border tiles off the wall, taking the plastic strip with it. Then patch the wall up where the plaster comes off with the tiles.

Put my new border on in place of the old one.

Has anyone done this successfully?

Sponsored Links
Yes but you need to be careful - ideally you could do with pressure holding the tile below (i.e. another pair of hands) while you prise off the border tile above. The grout should just crack away, but if you're worried you can rake it out before you start. There's a danger that the border tile could pull plaster off the wall and even loosen the plaster behind the other tiles. Be careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back