Do I use grout or mastic around the borders of my floor tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished laying and grouting the first section of my utility room floor tiling, and I have one last (I hope!) question: Is it 'best practice' to use tile grout or silicone sealant around the borders, where the tiles meet wooden skirtings, a wooden door threshhold, and a plastic tile edging strip? I've left a nominal 3mm gap all round.

Sponsored Links
Is the skirting on top of the tile or do the tiles butt up to the skirt?
If tile goes under I would use anything unless there is a big gap.
If they butt I think I would use silicone.

They butt up to the skirting, because I didn't want to go to the hassle of removing it and then making good.

I would wipe silicone round the edge, to stop water running down & then being soaked up by the skirting.

Sponsored Links
Is the skirting on top of the tile or do the tiles butt up to the skirt?
If tile goes under I would use anything unless there is a big gap.
If they butt I think I would use silicone.

And as a decorator, I would then come along, tut loudly, then waste ages trying to remove the silicone and then run a bead of a MS polymer, eg CT1, before being able to actually paint the skirting.

Paint and silicone do play nicely together...

Sorry about the rant- have just spent 12 hours trying to remove the silicone that was applied to skirtings in a bedroom by a twit builder/decorator. He used the stuff everywhere, including the gaps around electrical sockets. Took him 5 minutes to apply it and me 12 hours to chisel it out and make good.

And as a decorator, I would then come along, tut loudly, then waste ages trying to remove the silicone and then run a bead of a MS polymer, eg CT1, before being able to actually paint the skirting.

Paint and silicone do play nicely together...
Thanks opps. I shouldn't have specified 'silicone' in my original post, for I was simply thinking of some kind of flexible filler/adhesive, not any specific chemical composition. I see that CT1 comes in many colours, so I may even be able to get a close match for my grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back