Dish water / grey water for the garden ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is dishwater / grey water ok to use to water plants if it contains Fairy liquid ?

Our village gets water from a borehole and recently it is drying up regularly - so looking for alternatives to water newly planted plants as we have a self imposed watering ban at present.

Sponsored Links
Is dishwater / grey water ok to use to water plants if it contains Fairy liquid ?

Our village gets water from a borehole and recently it is drying up regularly - so looking for alternatives to water newly planted plants as we have a self imposed watering ban at present.
Probably will be fine :LOL: I'm rigging up a tank to store my waste water from the washing machine. At nearly 100 litres per wash, I don't know why I haven't done it sooner.

Can you catch all your rainwater in 1000litre ibc tanks?

Soap is used as a 'natural' insecticide on plants if you don't want to use 'natural' insectides like pyrethrin. Floods their spiracles I believe. Not sure about the concentrations though.

if your detergent of choice ( dish or clothes ) contains borax, do NOT use it on plants as it kills the roots..

Sponsored Links
Make sure you use it quickly though as standing grey water goes off quite quickly and starts to hum a bit

Some use very diluted fairly liquid to spray trees infested with aphids.

I think as long as you're watering the soil it should be OK.
Of course, this is what you should do anyway as you can actually get the water to the plants and having wet leaves encourages disease.
Down the street they were hosing all their plants during the hottest part of the day :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use it on vegetables plants.

There's rules saying grey water needs to be biologically treated if used in the house, but outside should be fine.

My concern is during wet winter periods when you've no use for the water, other than cleaning the car and garden tools etc.
You wouldn't want the water to become nasty.
Maybe the water would circulate in the tank and the overflow would deal with that, I don't know.

We've all got a grey water system; it's the bowl in the kitchen sink.
I always run the tap over it and use what's in the bowl.

I also use a jug to fill up a bucket from the kids' bath and use that as well.

Well this is quite topical as only recently this came out.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7823032/Sunburnt-plants-myth-is-debunked.html

So according to the Telegraph watering plants in the midday sun doesn't harm plants and the myth is debunked.

But hang on, the same research says it does harm plants

http://ec.europa.eu/research/headlines/news/article_10_01_25_en.html

but that's the EU for you and we know they are completely trustworthy and authoritative.

But hey, the Mail says it's true too, so it must be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1242175/Sun-shining-Then-dont-water-plants.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back