Dishwasher - 13amp connection melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved house and inherited a Zanussi DW15 TCR dishwasher. The mains cable wasn't long enough so the previous owners have used a 13amp in-line connector. I opened this up and the neutral connection (brass I presume) had melted, it was totally burnt out.

I replaced the connector and ran the dishwasher on one cycle. I noticed the cable was getting warm during the heat cycles, not hot. Is this normal? It could be that being near the sink, the connection got wet. It could have been a faulty connector. No obvious signs of a short and the plug fuse hasn't blown.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Suspect a loose or bad connection on the neutral led to the connector melting.
As to the cable getting warm, is it the extension, the dishwasher original cable or both that get warm? and how warm?
When it's washing and heating it will draw a lot of current, in excess of 10 watts, so the cable may well get a little warm.
Best bet is to check out the insulation on the dishwasher with a megger or have it checked over by a professional.

Unplug your appliance before working on it.

Thanks for the reply. It is both cables getting just warm. They're by no means how but I've not felt a cable this hot before, not as I feel a lot of cables anyway. I've taken a picture of the connection, just to be sure. It's very big just so you can see the detail. http://www.pelsall.me.uk/burnt.jpg.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back