Dishwasher - Hotpoint BCI450 buzzing/humming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dishwasher is 12 years old. When I start a clean cycle on my dishwasher it fills with water but when it's supposed to start (spin the arms) nothing happens and it makes a buzzing noise.

After a couple of minutes (maybe a bit longer) it stops itself and gives an error (code) - illuminates 2 wash cycle lights (2&3 of 5 lights) - which I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet.

I've had a quick look at the arms and they seem to be clear of any debris. Also, I don't think that there's any blockages because - as I've said above - the dishwasher fills with water and I can also here it drain and there's no water when I open the door.

What [else] could be the problem? I read other articles with a similar issue and they mention that it could be the washer motor/pump. If it is the motor how can whether or not that's the culprit?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
On this occasion it looks like the motor capacitor has blown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back